Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some opinions please....

If opinionating is still open, mine is skip the round over in 99% of cases, it looks like some strange effect for child's furniture, clean lines look better then dull rounds. A cock bead is really the only round thing I like to see on a doors edge. I do like a very subtle broken edge done with sand paper or a block plane, because no edge can stay razor sharp, but 1/8" is huge IMO. I can see the chamfer, but I personally prefer those a heavy 1/16"' or done at an angle more like 30* than 45*' so they go deeper than they go wide..On the subject of oak, it certainly lends itself to a variety of designs and uses in furniture and cabinetry. It can be quite beautiful. I have also seen some of the biggest abonitations ever done in oak which may serve to sully it's reputation in the eyes of some. It is perhaps more challenging to make an elegant or feminine piece using oak than say figured maple, mahogany or walnut. But it is certainly one of out most valuable domestic species and should not be written off so cursively. Plus it's tough as nails and cheap as dirt, and I made my work bench from it!

Another good thing about breaking the edge with a sanding block or even round-overs is that from what I read in a Flexner book is the finish will be much more durable. I guess it has a higher probability to chip and peel with sharp edges.

ymmv

Garrett Hack has a article in FWW this month on easing edges.. Interesting reading his opinion on easing edges.

On doors I'm not a fan of a chamfer , I prefer either a 1/8" radius or a lower part of a classic cutter profile , a slight indent with a smallish shoulder.

But if the wife likes the chamfer, that's the one to use !!!No doubt about it:-))))

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers View Post
    Another good thing about breaking the edge with a sanding block or even round-overs is that from what I read in a Flexner book is the finish will be much more durable. I guess it has a higher probability to chip and peel with sharp edges.

ymmv
    I concur on knife edges the finish will wear away quickly , and chipping of both the finish and the wood is more likely when the inevitable ding happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post

But if the wife likes the chamfer, that's the one to use !!!No doubt about it:-))))
    Yupper......I know who butters my bread......and after all...it's her entertainment center and she pays the tool bills. I get new tools every time she has a special request. Shortly I'll post pictures of the EC. I now have $150 worth of MLCS Katana router bits for future use. I didn't wear them out on this project.

Just call me stupid.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    .....I have also seen some of the biggest abonitations ever done in oak....
    I am not familiar with this type of furniture. Is it a type of wall unit or hutch, or is it a type of door?

Happy wife

Happy life