Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my G1023RL...

Finally got my G1023RL...

After it being on back-order for quite some time, my Grizzly G1023RL finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. I can't say enough good things about this machine, just that everything I've read here from other owners/reviews had my expectations high, and they were completely met... And then some.

It really couldn't have been much easier to put together, and it was dead-on true right out of the box. Had to replace the power cord - it was far too short and had the wrong type of plug for my 220 outlet, but now I've got a nice 14' cord on there with a TwistLok plug.

This thing runs so smooth and true, it passed the nickle test the first time I turned it on, even though the saw was sitting on a pretty un-level floor. I'm really blown away by this thing. The only minor gripe I have about it is that the left wing doesn't meet up perfectly with the table top. I can get it perfectly flush with the table top towards the front and the back, but then along the middle there is a very small lip where the wing is not quite the same as the table. It's a little disappointing after waiting so long and spending the money, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. Also, for anyone else thinking of getting one of these (or similar) - once you clean off all the goo from the tabletop (and man, there is a LOT of it, but it's almost a mirror finish once it's off), make sure you wax or treat it with something right away. I let mine sit for just 6 days and the table top developed some signs of oxidation. Nothing major, just a little minor discoloration but it's not as shiny as it was at first. *shrug*

I actually do have a couple of quick questions for anyone that has one of these. Like I've seen many here do before, I've moved the front fence rail down by one screw hole to get more rip capacity. First, what have you other owners used to extend the rear rail? I figure just a piece of hardwood would work fine, but wanted to see what others are doing. Also, I plan on building an extension table and probably a small cabinet underneath. Just curious as to what mobile base other owners that have done this are using? I know some have built their own, but I don't have the tools or know-how to do this - anyone have a suggestion for an after-market base?

Jason,
    The wing is easy to fix. Start at one end. Line it up and lock it down. Move tothe middle and do the same thing. Then repete for the other end. I have never have a wing that would not comply. If you can't get it then call Grizzly.

All moble bases don't have to be metal.
    Cary

anyone have a suggestion for an after-market base?
    The Rockler All-Terrain mobile base works really well if you're not into building your own (a bit pricy, but happens to be on sale right now). I've got my saw setting on one and it's super-smooth on uneven floors.

You'll need to stretch it out to accommodate a cabinet - just add a couple of pieces of flat steel to get the length. That's one of my current projects so that I can add an overarm blade guard (such as the Excalibur) and still be mobile.
    Stan

Congrats on the new saw, but we need some pics!

I'll bet you can coax the middle of that wing into alignment...cast iron does have some flex. Hope you've celebrated by getting a nice blade it!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the input, guys. I've tinkered with that wing a bit already, but I guess I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Cary, you were one of the the ones that gave me the idea of moving the fence rail down, what did you use to extend the rear rail? I imagine it was part of whatever you used to create the extension table?

Still deliberating on mobile bases. It's not entirely imperative that it be mobile right away, so I guess I've got some time... I was considering the Grizzly mobile base with the extension: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Exte...-G7314Z/G8684Z. Anyone ever see/use one of these?

I do plan on celebrating with a new blade - probably a Forrest Woodworker II.

I guess the post wasn't really meant to be any kind of gloat, but here are a few (crappy phone-cam) pictures of my new beast.

IMAG0076.jpgIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0080.jpg

Jason, is the jointer in the background a Grizzly too? Congrats. Greg

Thanks, Gregory. Yeah, the jointer is a G0604X - had it for a couple years now. Pretty nice machine, even though it's only a 6". :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dreyer View Post
    Cary, you were one of the the ones that gave me the idea of moving the fence ar rail? I imagine it was part of whatever you used to create the extension table?
    Jason,
    I drilled new holes and made new notches for the miter slot in the rear rail to move it over. It is really easy to redrill the holes with a drill press. The notches were done with a metal blade in a jig saw.

Great idea, Cary. Thanks again for your input (in this thread and others regarding this saw). It's been incredibly valuable.

Jason,
    Check the throat plate. Mine was warped somethign terrible. That was my only complaint about the saw. They sent a ZCI which I find far more useful. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dreyer View Post
    I can get it perfectly flush with the table top towards the front and the back, but then along the middle there is a very small lip where the wing is not quite the same as the table
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Jason,
    The wing is easy to fix. Start at one end. Line it up and lock it down. Move tothe middle and do the same thing. Then repete for the other end. I have never have a wing that would not comply. If you can't get it then call Grizzly.
    First off, Congrats!!!

Secondly, I'm with Cary. Cast iron is surprisingly soft. I line mine up at the front edge and tighten, then lift up or push down on the far end to get the middle aligned and tighten, then do the rear. I may have to re-tweak a bit and a rubber coated dead blow hammer can make micro-adjustments (tapping, not hammering) easier.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Congrats on the new saw!

Congratulations. For the rear rail I made a wooden extension rather than drill, cut, and move it over (not that there's anything hard or wrong with that). It's worked quite well for me. I also used a pretty simple "universal mobile base". A description and a few pictures of both are here.

Jason, I had my G1023Z on the Grizzly mobile base for the 11 years that I had it. It worked fine, but I didn't really move the saw around very much.

I did not use the extension. Instead I just added 4" wheels to the legs on a shop built side table.

Blog Entries
    I simply moved my front tube to the left one set of holes. I did not change the rails at all. Got me from 30" (always seemed just a bit shy) to 40" (always seems to be plenty) of fence travel. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler