Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Cyclone or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dyer View Post
    Yeah, exactly like both of those...

My ceilings are close to 16'. So i figure 8' for the cyclone + 4' off the ground should put the motor around 12'. Should give me plenty of room still...

I think you guys talked me into the cyclone...

So now its a matter of Oneida 3hp vs Grizzly 2hp G0440....

As an alternative I also am considering possibly making a "lean to" on the outside of the garage to store compressor and dust collector. Not sure i really want to go down that path though...
    Just make sure you figure out a safe way to get the thing up there they are heavy and awkward not a two man job.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wacker View Post
    Just make sure you figure out a safe way to get the thing up there they are heavy and awkward not a two man job.

Don
    Well, im pretty sure i figured out a way to get it up there with only me

Use the Winch on the front of my Polaris RZR, an extension ladder and a pulley. The grizz looks like it has a attachment point right on it for lifting. The Oneida not so much...

Well, im pretty sure i figured out a way to get it up there with only me

Use the Winch on the front of my Polaris RZR, an extension ladder and a pulley. The grizz looks like it has a attachment point right on it for lifting. The Oneida not so much...
    If you have an aluminum extension ladder make sure you stick a steel rod or angle iron through the rung. Learned that one the hard way, ruined my ladder the collector was to heavy.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wacker View Post
    If you have an aluminum extension ladder make sure you stick a steel rod or angle iron through the rung. Learned that one the hard way, ruined my ladder the collector was to heavy.

Don
    Thanks for the tip...never thought of shoving it through the ladder rung. I was thinking of putting a block of wood or something on top to help distribute...I like your idea better. Glad you warned me though cause i would have tried it without first as i would have thought it would hold.

So now its a matter of Oneida 3hp vs Grizzly 2hp G0440....
    So now the decision is to buy USA or China

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    So now the decision is to buy USA or China
    USA or Taiwan....not china.

Grizzly
    G0440 $995 + $94 freight + $44.95 muffler + $9.70 shipping = $1143.65

Oneida
    V-System 3000 $1286 + $92 wall bracket + $35 drum + $77.28 remote + $116.58 bag gripper + $134 shipping = $1780.86

Note: i added remote and bag gripper so im comparing apples to apples. Grizz comes with those standard. Also using 3hp model since its fan curve is closer to the G0440 then the 2hp v-system.

Pluses for Oneida.
    Made in USA
    3hp vs 2 hp on grizz...though fan curves are almost identical. Onedia pulls ahead by about 15% at high SP.
    Quieter - probably close to half as loud assuming all stated noise ratings are accurate.
    Probably Starts up faster - from the you tube videos it seems oneida (2hp model) starts up in about 2-3 seconds compared to 7-9 secs for grizz (1.5hp). Makes sense since Oneida is using aluminum impeller.
    Hepa Filter - this is a big plus.
    RF remote as opposed to infrared.
    EDIT: yellow would look good in garage

Oneida is over 55% more.

Thats a LOT! Granted it does have advantages, but thats an awful lot to pay for american made. If onieda was $1286 + $134 shipping and included the accessories i listed (still $276 more then grizz) i would pay the more money for american made.

They also list only a 1 year warranty..your touting it as quality and american made than give it a 1 year warranty. Makes me wonder..penn state is asian and they give 5 year.

Am i missing something that would make the onieda that much more?

Blog Entries
    Am i missing something that would make the onieda that much more?
    They are employing an American and they pay American wages?

There is probably a $200 difference in the motor alone. The Baldor motor specd by Oneida is a much better motor and the DC is the hardest working motor in the shop. Fan curves can be misleading but a 3 hp unit with a larger fan and more filter area will outperform and performance at higher SP is a big deal. I figure 8 sp as the minimum and go from there. The hepa filter is probably $100-200 more with the balance being stuff you don't see and US wages and probably some additional profit as Grizzly sells lots more stuff. I understand budget limitations but there is a significant quality difference there to compensate at least for the bulk of the price. Dave

Blog Entries
    Yes! actually that helps a lot. The manual/spec sheet now says 83-85dB for the G0440. Except for the 16 page cyclone brochure grizzly created. They still say 75 dB in there. I was wondering which one was true and i think you answered that for me. Though not the answer i wanted to hear

Do you have the Grizzly muffler on yours?
    I do and it is pretty much worthless. I would not advise anyone to spend the money on it.

Sorry, I missed that you weren't going to run ducting. Definitely look into an Oneida or Grizzly roll around little cyclone that you can drag form machine to machine. Even a 2HP unit will start to degrade quickly with 10' of hose on it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Clearvue $1476 on special
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening