Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Lunar Tide"

Outstanding is all aspects John, and Steve's comment about stars gave me an idea for your consideration. I've seen several turners drill holes and insert silver wire of various sizes in their pieces, and this would be a perfect application for that added touch of starfield bling!
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 02-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Not only a Lunar Tide but a Blue Moon to boot! That's just as cool and imaginative as they get!

Very creative John, your work always impresses me.

Excellent in all regards. The likeness is remarkable. Even without the ponytail.

John,
    You continue to amaze and inspire. This is another beautiful piece and I really like the departure from the norm.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

John that is a beautiful piece. Mary Ann said you could have called it "once in a blue moon." Love the color and the moon really just does it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fantastic! The form, color and finish are excellent as always, and the man in the moon is a cool highlite. I thought it was perfect as is, until Keller mentioned the moon sitting too high and once that idea got in my head, I have to agree that it might be a little better if it were a little lower, but I still think it's fantastic as it is.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That sure turned out nice John! Love the hollow form - the shape, the curl and the color! Very impressed with your carving! Who knew you were so talented??

I can see how this idea of a non-traditional finial could lead to some very unique work and I look forward to seeing it!!

Seriously - very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Love the concept and the execution. For the record, I don't think the finial is too high - it needs the clearance, and it is way up there in the sky after all.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

It looks like you had fun making this one, John. I'm thinking about tux jacket with blue jeans. The hollow form is formal and serious and the finial keeps it light and loose. It's not your signature piece, for sure but it will give a whole different feel to a viewer when seen in concert with your other work. Your last two pieces have humor and light hardheartedness. I'm happy for whatever is going on i your life to make you feel that way.
    faust

John you said in my post you we're doing some sculpting,so i was really looking foward to seeing some of it. Man i think it's just great what you came up with, and as always you knocked it out of the park.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I did enjoy the sculpting - much less labor intensive than carving, and much less cash investment, as well! I don't think I am capable of carving in this scale without a high speed carving tool of some sort.

Faust, I think this "venturing out" is kind of fun! It is more of a "I have done that - at least to a level of mediocrity" and now it is time to do something else. I still can't turn a decent bowl, though!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Mary Ann said you could have called it "once in a blue moon."
    Bernie, that is amazing! That was the original title when I started pondering this piece, but a "blue moon" is a full moon. For that reason, I decided against the title. In telephone conversation with my daughter (who had not seen the piece) she suggested Lunar Tide. I felt that more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    My very first though after the "oh thats cool", was that the moon is a little too large.
    Scott (and others that felt similarly) - this is was a dilemma for me. The moon conforms to the original sketch, but after turning the form I had second thoughts about the size of the moon and the lift of the base. I scaled another moon - smaller by 1/4" - and actually sculpted one from clay to see what it would do. Both Ms. Keeton and I felt it was too diminutive and needed more height. In order to offset that a little, I made the moon a little more full. Perhaps first thoughts are best??? I am still not sure a smaller moon would work, but I do know that 1/4" goes a long way! And, adding the extra fullness may have been a mistake, as well.

001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Excellent in all regards. The likeness is remarkable. Even without the ponytail.
    Baxter, my mother was a Stratton prior to marriage. The Strattons have "prominent" noses, and I was "fortunate" enough to inherit that trait! Strangely, I have no sense of smell. Sort of a strange joke to play if you ask me!

thanks for taking us on your journey into the new realm, very interesting. The vessel color sure is eye-popping. Also eye-grabbing. From a totally personal view, I find the black & blue moon too dark for my taste. But that is purely an opinion from a picture. in real life, it may not look so dark. I hope you make a few more & share them with us.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks, Michelle! Ms. Keeton agrees with you, and I considered airbrushing a lighter shade of blue on the face - perhaps blending it back into the darker blue. But, I just was concerned about the match with the form. It should work, and I may end up doing that.....still thinking!

John --- I wondered about the size of the moon too, if it could be smaller and maybe even higher( to compensate for the decreased size). For me, I know I would have to make some models, maybe even just cardboard or wood silhouettes to stick on in order to see the effect in 3-D. I like the idea of going lighter with the moon too, maybe even a silvery base coat, with blue lacquer on top, fading from light to dark as the shadow deepens.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 02-05-2012 at 1:53 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome