Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use Behr's Primer-Paint combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Berry313 View Post
    When buying from HD I will only buy the "Ultra". Covers great, usually one one coat needed with a good roller (sureline) I painted our kitchen with that paint ("Spice" basically a red color) and only used one coat. Has held up to me and three kids so it has had my vote ever since.

If you find the color in the "regular" Behr samples that you like they can make it using the "Ultra" just as a FYI. I've also used SW super paint and loved it.

Never have used the exterior version of this product so no comment on that.
    Every time I've used this paint it was already over painted walls (AKA water-downed latex the builder used) , so would I use it on bare drywall or plywood by itself...no I would prime first

2. I only use the Ultra version of Behr. I recently tried the paint plus primer when I painted a bathroom. I did two coats, and it looked fine, but I ended up doing a third coat anyway. I used about a gallon and a half for a small bathroom, less than 8x8. The bathroom is not square, and I only had to paint the two feet above the shower. I also painted the ceiling. I would probably use it again.

Blog Entries
    Just finished a 5'x8' bath yesterday using the old formula, 2 coats, 2 quarts. Only reason for 2 coats was a drastic lighter color change. No ceiling though.

I amazed at the number of positive responses to Behr paint in general. I used it a couple of times and thought it was a very low end product. They must have changed the formulas. Maybe it's time to try again.

Phil

I used this crap to paint my shop... what a mistake. I was using it over new drywall and asked the "expert" at HD about whether it would seal the drywall. He told me it would. The paint would not lay down and it was near impossible to eliminate the roller pattern. It also dried too fast to keep a wet edge on a large ceiling without five people rolling.

I called Behr only to find that it is NOT recommended for sealing drywall. Behr was kind enough to provide me with replacement primer and replacement paint (enough to repaint the entire shop) at no charge.

Prime... then paint...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maddox View Post
    I amazed at the number of positive responses to Behr paint in general. I used it a couple of times and thought it was a very low end product.

Phil
    My feelings EXACTLY! Right now, I'm painting storm doors using some Olympic (red) and it's taking FOUR coats to get coverage. I'm old enough to remember "one coat coverage." Two years ago, I painted hall and dining room using Behr. Color was almost the same. Took three coats, plus primer to get coverage. My "on the job painter" doubles his labor when customer insists on using Behr paints. Before HD bought and raped the Behr name it was very good paint.

Mike,
    I was told the same thing by a HD employee. I will never use the combo Behr again and may do some research before buying any Behr again. I have used it for years but have never been able to cover anything with one coat even after pigmenting the primer prior to final coat.
    David B

I've never had much luck with those types of paints. There's a lot of contradictory functions built in. Getting away with a single coat probably means a high density of pigment which mean a thick, heavy and harder to lay down paint when a primer often needs a low viscosity to penetrate to fill a surface, get through dust and get good adhesion - which can on occasion be very difficult on gypsum plastered surfaces.

ian

If its the big brand at the BORG it must be good, right?

Or they make the most profit off the product

I used it and, it was more expensive and still had to do two coats...
    Last edited by phil harold; 04-08-2012 at 9:09 AM.
    Carpe Lignum

I just painted a 'new to me' house inside and out with the Behr Ultra with good results in a single coat except the LR which is a pale yellow and needed two coats to cover a tan wall. I the shop I used zinzer primer over new OSB and painted with some donated paint from Lowes. I don't think I would use the ultra on bare wood or sheetrock.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    I subscribe to Consumer's Reports and while I am no fan of their auto reviews (being from Detroit) I trust their methodology for things such as paint, and until this year the Behr's premium plus was on top of the heap (bested this year by Benjamin Moore at $66/gal). I know a pro painter that is happy to use it when asked. Please don't trash the paint brand if the store gave you bad advice on not using a PVA primer over raw drywall.