Thread: Link to molding plane sharpening "how to"?

Question Link to molding plane sharpening "how to"?

I've been thinking more and more about molding planes. Can (and will ) anyone give me a link to a site detailing this?

Initially at least, I'm interested in hollows, rounds and beading planes. I say initially 'cuz I suspect this slope is even slipperier than the last! <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

No link, but Larry Williams DVD "Sharpening Profiled Hand Tools" is truly superb and well worth it's price (I think $25).

+1 on the DVD. And I'll just grease the slope for you and mention that he also has an excellent "Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes" DVD, both available from Lie-Nielsen. Plus, they also sell the iron blanks.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I just attended a class using Matt Bickford's molding planes. They're simple, but require great care in handling.
    Without a fence, or stop installed they're very flexible in use but unforgiving of mishandling.

It's impressive what can be made with two pairs of H&R with a good rabbet plane.

I highly recommend taking a class, first. You may have a different conviction about their utility after a weekend session.

Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

6. Read Matt Bickford's blog (Musings from Big Pink) end to end, you will get most of what you need; and then try to visit a LN Open day when he is there. Go without your wallet.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Francis View Post
    Go without your wallet.

LOL.. The really, really ironic thing for me is that by the time I'd spend the $1,000 or so to fly from Anchorage to a LN open day, I'd have to buy a *whole* lot of tools to amortize the travel.

Wait... Is there a down side here?
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 02-14-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!