Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spokeshave finished

Spokeshave finished

I have always loved to use spokeshaves, so I thought I would try my hand at making one.

I don't have a curved bottom spokeshave, so I decided that's what I would make. I wanted something with a reasonably small radius to use on the faired joints between chair seats and legs. I wanted something that would work in a tight radius like a Miller Falls #1. In fact, I first thought about making a tube like body as on a #1, but didn't think I would ever be able to reproduce the cutter. I also wanted something that would be easier to sharpen.

I love the looks of the Brian Boggs spokeshave (but have never tried one), so you can see some resemblance. The cap iron works as on a Boggs spokeshave. I wasn't sure how well this would secure the iron as it doesn't have the leverage of other cap irons, but seems to hold the blade very well as long as it isn't contaminated with too much oil.

I don't have a mill, so made the body by laminating together layers of 1/4" mild steel. This allowed me to make the parts using nothing by hacksaw, files, drill press, grinder, etc. The parts were then riveted together using 1/8" mild steel pins that were peened and ground flush.

Instead of threading into the ends of the body to attach the handles, I decided to extend to body into tangs that would have scales attached to form the handles. I was originally planning on using some Honduran Rosewood I had on hand, but when I cut the scales, I was disappointed in the figure and color, so used some bloodwood I had on hand instead.

How does it work? O.K. I guess. This is the first round bottom shave I have used. I find I have trouble getting a good feel for where the iron meets the wood and end up hunting around a bit by rocking the round bottom of the sole on the wood surface. It may just take some getting used to.

I took quite a few photos during the build. If there is interest in seeing these I can add them to the thread. I just have to sort them first as they are in a big jumble (the camera I'm using kept loosing its date, so the pictures aren't in any kind of chronological order).

Thanks,
    Jeff

006.jpg002.jpg008.jpg014.jpg019.jpg031.jpg033.jpg038.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 04-14-2012 at 5:26 PM.

It looks fantastic! I like how the handles are done like the handles of a knife. I hope you get it performing to a level that you pleased with. Really really cool! Thanks for sharing.

My goodness, that's lovely. A perfect handle spokeshave! (http://ilikerust.com/perfect-handle-screwdrivers.shtml, if you find that reference confusing)

One of the things I've learned about round-bottom spokeshaves from so-far-limited use is that they work better when you pull them, because your wrists are designed to rotate in more than out. That is, as you go around the curve, your wrists should rotate down (if you hold your hands so the palms face down) rather than up; this generally means standing in front of rather than behind the curve and pulling rather than pushing. You may already know this, in which case I apologize for stating the obvious; but it's not always easy to know, in the interweb, what people already know.

It looks very nice, I like it!

The feel should come pretty quickly if it's like any of the other commercial tight radius shaves.

It definitely looks BETTER than the Boggs. I've never been crazy about the handles on the Boggs. Your method of attaching them is a lot more artistic. Send it to me so I can stamp my name on it and return it!!

Very classy

Very nice work, Jeff. It looks solid.

I for one would like to see the build pics. Who doesn't like build pics!?

Mike

Ooh! I think that looks great. Prettiest shave I've seen a long time. I agree with others comments about the handles - I think the scales type construction is just gorgeous. Of course, I kind of like threaded handles, just because I tend to end up using my spokeshaves with at least one handle removed at least half the time. This is mostly poor planning on my part when working on guitars, or waiting to chamfer something until after it's put together. (Tom Fidgen turned me on to a trick I haven't tried yet - the handles from the LV router plane fit onto their spoke shaves . . .. )

Every round bottom shave I've used takes a little getting used to, they all feel a little different. The first time I pick up a new one, or if it's been a while since I've used one, I have to kind of force myself to remember to let the shave "ride" on the bed in front of the iron, not the back. . . it's not that I don't *know* this, it's just sometimes I have to make myself think a little more consciously about it, whereas with a flat shave or a plane or something, I don't really think, just do.

I second the motion for progress pictures.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 04-14-2012 at 8:19 PM.

That looks exceptional. I'd like to have a look at the build.

I use spoke shaves often and that one is beautiful. I would love to see the build photos also. Thanks for sharing. Jim

Very, very nice. Nice lines. The handles look comfortable. And, yes, I'd like more photos.

Yep! Rather amazing work. Well done!!!

VERY cool. I too would love to see the build pics.

Blog Entries
    NICEE! I think tools like this have a value far more than anything you can buy. I'd also love to see the build progress.

Exquisite! Rick