Thread: Beaded form #2 Cherry

Beaded form #2 Cherry

It's been awhile since I've turned any Cherry, and I think this is the 1st time I've done a HF from it. Now I know why so many turners like to do cherry hfs! I'd forgotton how nice it turns and it really hollows nice too (plus it smells good).
    I roughed out the outside yesterday, then left it to soak in a 50/50 soap and water mixture. I knew I would be beading it and I knew it would be on the lathe for a long time today. The soap mixture helps keep the wood from cracking while turning (the little fine surface cracks that are especially troublesome here this time of year), it also conditions the wood and helps for amazingly clean cuts.
    The beading went very, very well! This cherry made for very clean beads.
    I didn't want to bead all the way to the top, so I left a little collar but it didn't look quite right, so I added the bead at the top and left a little ring on the inside rim. It might be a little busy with the ring, but I like the look.

It's about 5 1/2" x 5", finish so far is a couple coats of DO. After the oil dries I'll go over it lightly with some steel wool to clean up the little fibers left from the shop towel when I wiped it down, then I'll decide on a top coat.

Beautiful cherry blank courtesty of John Kent! Thanks John!

PICT0001-002.JPGPICT0002-002.JPGPICT0003-002.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is really nice Kathy. I've been playing around with beading lately but haven't quite got it down pat. More practice here.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

3. Nice work Kathy.........that beading really adds another dimension to the turning. Good form on this hf, and I like the curved area near the neck that you left without the beading.........adds visual interest!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Kathy I am not familiar with the 50/50 soap and water to prevent drying. What kind of soap are you using. Then how long and how do you dry the wood
    Ron

Very nice Kathy. The form is will done and the beading pattern is very pleasing.

Pretty one Kathy. What little beading I have done makes for a fun change and different look.

Thanks guys!

Ronald, I use the Kirkland brand concentrated dishwashing soap from Costco. I soak the piece for about 24 hours then let it drip dry (or at least wipe the excess off so I don't get splattered when it starts spinning). It will be more effective on a rough turned piece than on a solid chunk, (less wood to penetrate).
    I got the information from Ron Kent's website http://www.ronkent.com/techniques.php . I also use the mixture in a spray bottle to spritz pieces while I'm turning them. It keeps them from drying out to fast on the outside (which happens very quick here in the summer) and it seems to help with wood that's a little punky or if I run in to something that wants to tear out.
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy I like the beads and love the form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Really nice job on the form and the beads just take it over the top.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Kathy,

Really nice piece. I like the 'blank space' at the top and the mouth as well. I think it looks better not beaded all the way to the top. Question -- how did you do the beads? With a skew?

~Todd

Nice work Kathy! Pretty wood and a really pleasing form! The very top is a little busy for my taste but it is growing on me!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the additional comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    Kathy,

Really nice piece. I like the 'blank space' at the top and the mouth as well. I think it looks better not beaded all the way to the top. Question -- how did you do the beads? With a skew?

~Todd
    Thanks Todd, I did the beading with a D-Way beading tool, the skew and i don't see eye to eye

Steve, I thought it was a little too much at first too, but it grew on me and I like that it's different.

I really like the break from the beading in the top. The bead all the way at the top works for me too. Nice job all around.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners