Thread: Clear Coat over Acrylic Paint

Clear Coat over Acrylic Paint

I just finished a dresser/changing table for No 2 due shortly. I used poplar and painted it with semi gloss latex paint (that's what the boss wanted). She wants me to put a clear coat over the top to protect it. Antsuggestions? My concern is something comparable with latex paint. I'm all ears
    Don

Waterborne polyurethane floor finish works well. Just be really careful putting it on any vertical surfaces--it self-levels quickly.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Did you use latex "wall" paint or a 100% acrylic paint? Or maybe a water-borne enamel?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    For what it is worth, I would not clearcoat over the top of the latex. The people who built the house I live in, clear-coated over the gray on some built-ins. It is a pain to repair.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Scott, I used Benjamin Moore Regal which states its a 100% acrylic resin. I didn't even think of using enamel paint whic h I used before.
    Don

Adding an acrylic clear coat will not add much in the way of additional protection. Paint is primarily the same thing as clear acrylic with lots of opaque pigment coloring added. If you want additional protection, just add another coat of your acrylic paint.
    Howie.........