Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Should I Spray Lacquer?

Will the Poly have any problem sticking to the lacquer that's already on the cabinets? My cabinets are the very common looking oak, natural color. Will I have to add any kind of stain to the poly?

Derek,

I would also warn against spraying the lacquer if you have no experience or proper equipment.
    I am an insurance adjuster and specialize in fire claims. In the past year I have seen two homes burned to the ground by improper handling of lacquer vapors.
    One was the result of the lacquer vapors pulled into the HVAC return and ignition was from the fan motor 2 stories above where they were spraying. Second was from a gas hot water heater in the garage where they were spraying with lacquer.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Will the Poly have any problem sticking to the lacquer that's already on the cabinets? My cabinets are the very common looking oak, natural color. Will I have to add any kind of stain to the poly?
    Enduro Poly is approved for use over solvent based finishes; we regularly spray it over GF Seal-A-Cell and GF solvent based gel stain. You should always check with the manufacturer, however.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stanley View Post
    Derek,

I would also warn against spraying the lacquer if you have no experience or proper equipment.
    I am an insurance adjuster and specialize in fire claims. In the past year I have seen two homes burned to the ground by improper handling of lacquer vapors.
    One was the result of the lacquer vapors pulled into the HVAC return and ignition was from the fan motor 2 stories above where they were spraying. Second was from a gas hot water heater in the garage where they were spraying with lacquer.

Jim
    I'm just curious. How were they venting the vapors? Or were they not? I'm always interested in learning just exactly what NOT to do.

They were not venting, had the HVAC running, and the return duct was in the hall which was adjacent to the kitchen where they were spraying both upper and lowers.
    No one seriously injured, and no awards for intelligence! ( The contractor had no insurance,,,the homeowner assumed they were insured.)