Thread: A few from this weeked

A few from this weeked

Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.

Friday night I was looking at a short section of a 5 1/2" diameter sissoo log and decided to turn another endgrain bowl, but leave a bark edge. Sissoo turns great, even on endgrain and it's pretty stable. No cracks or movement so far, and the pith is holding up fine (just a drop of CA before sanding). Another log with no heartwood, so it's pretty bland, but the ease of turning it makes up for it.
    Its 5 1/2" x 2" with a coat of antique oil.
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0001.JPGPICT0003-002.JPG
    Saturday was our club meeting day and this month it was an all day demo with David Ellsworth . The demo was great and I picked up a few tips and techniques. One of the pieces David brought for display was an ash hf that had been burned. It looked great and had alot of texture, so when I got home from the demo I cut a piece from a small ash log and turned this hf so I could burn it . Taking a torch to a perfectly good hf takes a bit of determination!
    My propane canister started to run out before I got the lower portion completely done, so it's a little bit lighter. There were also a couple of spots that burned a little to good, maybe I should have just let them burn enough to create a couple of voids. After burning, I sanded it back a bit then added a heavy coat of antique oil (it really sucked it up). I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely. Maybe I'll try another one later.
    It's 5 1/2" x 5" finished with antique oil.
    PICT0004-001.JPGPICT0006-001.JPG
    Sunday I got out the chainsaw to cut up some blanks and one of them was a big bowl blank of silk oak. The shop floor is now covered in pink shavings, I wish silk oak would hold the pink color it has when it's fresh cut.
    It's 12 1/2" x 4" finished in walnut oil.
    PICT0008.JPGPICT0011-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work, Kathy. The sissoo bowl is pretty cool but the are all good.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Neat looking bowls Kathy!!! I anxious to see some of this work in person, as I've been thinking about doing some of this on a few of my bowls.

Mike

Nice pieces Kathy. I really like the looks of the sisso.

("I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely.")

What part of David's instructions did you forget? And what was the texture on the ash forms you were trying to achieve?

Great pieces Kathy. Looks like you had a great weekend.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kathy,
    I love your understatement with words: (Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.) All are 1st. Class. Nice work.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Nice work, Kathy. The sissoo bowl is pretty cool but the are all good.
    Thanks Doug! I got lucky that the log was actually pretty round and the pith was centered. Just trying for something a little different.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    Neat looking bowls Kathy!!! I anxious to see some of this work in person, as I've been thinking about doing some of this on a few of my bowls.

Mike
    Thanks Mike! So what did you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sichmeller View Post
    Nice pieces Kathy. I really like the looks of the sisso.

("I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely.")

What part of David's instructions did you forget? And what was the texture on the ash forms you were trying to achieve?
    Thanks Gary! I love turning sissoo and it's even better when there's some heartwood. As far as the texturing, David didn't sand his back. If I remember correctly, he burns the piece then gives it several coats of tung oil and lets it dry to form a crust, then he uses a stitched buffing wheel (not the floppy wheels like the Beale buffers) and brown tripoli (coarser than the red) to buff and polish. I'm guessing the coarser tripoli cuts through the tung oil and takes down the softer winter rings while leaving the summer rings. His piece was polished very smooth, but the winter rings were probably 1/16" or so below the level of the summer rings. I should have taken some pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Great pieces Kathy. Looks like you had a great weekend.
    Thanks Bernie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Kathy,
    I love your understatement with words: (Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.) All are 1st. Class. Nice work.
    Thanks Ken!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

The Sissoo is my favorite by far. I love the natural edge on the bowl, and the pith in the center just gives it just that much more "character". Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Thanks Doug! I got lucky that the log was actually pretty round and the pith was centered. Just trying for something a little different.

Thanks Mike! So what did you think?

Thanks Gary! I love turning sissoo and it's even better when there's some heartwood. As far as the texturing, David didn't sand his back. If I remember correctly, he burns the piece then gives it several coats of tung oil and lets it dry to form a crust, then he uses a stitched buffing wheel (not the floppy wheels like the Beale buffers) and brown tripoli (coarser than the red) to buff and polish. I'm guessing the coarser tripoli cuts through the tung oil and takes down the softer winter rings while leaving the summer rings. His piece was polished very smooth, but the winter rings were probably 1/16" or so below the level of the summer rings. I should have taken some pictures.

Thanks Bernie!

Thanks Ken!
    Hi Kathy,

I think David said he typically uses Waterlox rather than pure tung oil. On that burned ash piece I think he said there was no finish on it other than the buffing after the burn. My brain was pretty toast by the afternoon so I may have misremembered.

Nice pieces by the way!

Jon

Wonderful pieces Kathy. I'm seeing more and more folks using real pyro work, and its kind of intriguing. I'll be sure to have a full tank of gas when I try. Would love seeing David sometime as well. Great job!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!