Thread: Thanks Mrs. Claus .........

Blog Entries

Thanks Mrs. Claus .........

Mrs. Claus was nice enough to spring for a brand new Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack Plane.

Must say she had an assist from Creeker Kent Bathurst.

Thank you Frannie and Kent.

PHM

100_2068.jpg100_2069.jpg

Paul that's a great plane. I have one and wouldn't give it up. Do yourself a favor and get the "hotdog" atachment for it if you plan to use it on a shooting board. It is very comfortable to use and works great.
    Merry Christmas
    Bob

Blog Entries
    That is one sweet plane and that is from personal experience.

Do yourself a favor and get the "hotdog" atachment for it if you plan to use it on a shooting board. It is very comfortable to use and works great.
    +1 on this. Since mine is used mostly for shooting, the hot dog stays on all the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does the Lie-Nielsen hotdog handle fit the Veritas LA jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Auvinen View Post
    Does the Lie-Nielsen hotdog handle fit the Veritas LA jack?
    If it doesn't, Derek's got some info on his site on building your own.

The two issues of fit are going to be the curve of the sides - the difference between the profile of the two planes makes me think it might not be a great fit - and the thickness of the sidewall casting. No idea if the difference in profile is apt to be an issue, but if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll measure the slot thickness of the hotdog and post it - you could measure your plane's sidewall thickness and see if it fits.

Honestly, if I was going this route again, I'd probably build my own, having seen Derek's. I have the LN dog for my plane, and it makes it a joy to use on it's side. but looking back. I'm not sure if it's worth the 60 bucks to me.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice