Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving a Sweet 16 lathe into a basement shop

As for the hand truck, an appliance dolly is great to have.....Sooner or later, everyone that you know will have borrowed it. One thing to keep in mind is that the "foot" of these are very narrow. Just something to keep in mind is you'd want to move a big stack of bowl blanks or some such load.

I highly recommend a Magliner dolly/hand truck......I have used the same Magliner since my rock'n'roll days in the late 70's.....This Magliner was old when I got it......BUT....They ain't cheap! The one that I have would probably sell for @$350 these days....OUCH!.....These trucks will take incredible abuse.

http://www.magliner.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
    As for the hand truck, an appliance dolly is great to have.....Sooner or later, everyone that you know will have borrowed it. One thing to keep in mind is that the "foot" of these are very narrow. Just something to keep in mind is you'd want to move a big stack of bowl blanks or some such load.

I highly recommend a Magliner dolly/hand truck......I have used the same Magliner since my rock'n'roll days in the late 70's.....This Magliner was old when I got it......BUT....They ain't cheap! The one that I have would probably sell for @$350 these days....OUCH!.....These trucks will take incredible abuse.

http://www.magliner.com/
    Lots of recommendations! Thanks! I think pneumatic wheels would be a plus. I can see using this on grass and other surfaces that might not like those little hard wheels. At this point, I don't see myself spending the money for a Magliner. But one never knows! ANyone see an advantage in one of them that converts to a flat cart? Those look light duty, but I could see uses for the cart.

this subject have been covered here before , maybe someone can post a link

My previous shop was down 7 steps on a paver stone walk way. The steps were set in concrete, but other pavers set in sand/gravel. I used a pneumatic tire hand truck from Tractor Supply, but the steps with the pneumatic tires added to lift problems getting things up from the shop (especially when moving a year ago). The bigger wheels also increase the force required to tip the load. The appliance dolly going up and down stairs is really a big help since there is the little crawler belts to help with the steps. You can always make a little platform/box to attach when you need to haul wood (bowls or raw) up and down the steps.

I helped a friend with his sweet 16 and it comes fully assembled. It really is not that heavy I lifted one end at a time and moved it off of the pallet which was pretty easy. Take the gap off of the bed, tailstock, banjo, The legs come off pretty easy and if you take the motor off probably you and one other person can take it down the stairs with no big problem. Good luck and have a great time with your new lathe. They are very nice. Probably the nicest 16" lathe around.

Alan

About a year ago I was faced with getting my Sweet 16 into my basement. It comes lashed to a wooden skid. I took three 2 X 4 a bit longer than the run of the stairs and used them as rails down the stairs. I used a dolly to get the lathe to the top of the stairs and then set the skid on top of the rails. I had a friend help me hold it back and we then slid the skid down the rails. Wood on wood does not slide readily so there was quite a bit of friction that helped us ease it down the length of the stairs. Once in the basement it was back on the dolly to the spot where I wanted the lathe. The hardest part was getting the lathe off the skid and in position. As you know, the headstock is attached so it stays. The only thing I could take off was the tailstock and banjo. It all worked out and the lathe is very comfortable in it's new home.

Good luck with yours.

I ordered my AB with lift gate service, the driver used a pallet jack to move the skid to a spot of my choosing in my garage. You need a fairly strait paved driveway for the driver to back the truck up to the garage and roll the skid where you want it.

Even though the Sweet 16 does not have a sliding headstock, I would be surprised if it was welded to the ways, so I would think it could be unbolted to aid in moving it.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Thanks again everybody! I'm planning to have it dropped and moved into my garage. Once I get a good look at it, I'll finalize my plan. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Bruce

Call your local moving company and explain the scenario. Odds are pretty good that you can hire a couple (or several) movers for an hour to do this for you. Be sure to tip them well for saving your back!

Noah