Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyamaichi chisels from Lee Valley

Koyamaichi chisels from Lee Valley

I see that Lee Valley are now selling the pairing, cranked-neck and fishtail chisels from Koyamaichi.

At first glance they appear to be about $10 more than what you can buy them for from Stu over @ toolsfromjapan.

LV also appears to only offer the 14 degree (1:4) dovetail angle fishtails and in sizes of 6mm and 12mm as opposed to 9mm and 15mm from TFJ who offer the 1:6, 1:8 and 14 degree dovetail chisels.

Anyway...........
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I'd love to have the crank necked chisels some day but they look like a nightmare to sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I'd love to have the crank necked chisels some day but they look like a nightmare to sharpen.
    Yeah, Rob Lee will have to come up with a new accessory to his honing jig.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

If you're a die-hard LV type or have a local store, that's fine. If you're indifferent about where you buy, those sales mean a lot to stu. He's a one-man operation with a wife and two kids (and his prices are cheap any time the exchange rate is favorable), and until he came along, we didn't have any really good places to go for a combination of mid-grade and high end stuff (I still remember when he was sending around bits and pieces of stuff before he ever had a store). It was pretty much iyoroi from anyone buying from harima enterprises, with a little more selection from hida and JWW. None of those are uniformly good and cheap.

That's not to be confused with saying "don't buy anything from LV", just an exception in this case for someone who has tried to provide everything we asked for (I begged stu to pick up koyamaichi chisels long ago when LV had the dovetail chisels they carry, but couldn't find koyamaichi stuff anywhere else), and always done it cheaply (even though stu and I fight all the time about trivial stuff).

I would never make a general comment not to patronize LV, though, it would make me a hypocrite if I had some sort of temporary stroke and said something like that.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-04-2013 at 8:12 AM.

I agree with David. Stu has a good selection of Koyamaichi. I bought one from him. Delivery to Minnesota was fast and the price was good. He sells many other nice things. If we patronize him he will stay in business, a good resource for Japanese tools.
    Last edited by Bruce Mack; 09-04-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correction

Blog Entries
    LV also just released the PM-V11 Butt Chisels, which Stu obviously does not carry. I have my eye on the 2" Butt Chisel for marking...

I wonder how PM-V11 chisels would go over in Japan. Maybe Stu could be LV's agent.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Robins View Post
    I wonder how PM-V11 chisels would go over in Japan. Maybe Stu could be LV's agent.
    Well, the Ultimate Warrior did finally reconcile with the WWE, at least long enough for both to make a few more bucks...so maybe someday (admittedly, I haven't watched the WWF since I was a school kid and the Ultimate Warrior was a wrestler). It took about 15 years, though.

Stu does have some PM chisels already, though, but they are much different than LV's.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-04-2013 at 2:04 PM.

Who did woodcraft just acquire...I thought someone said that they acquired Tools from Japan....

This sets up a total conflict: Both Stu and Rob are great people to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Who did woodcraft just acquire...I thought someone said that they acquired Tools from Japan....
    Japan Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    This sets up a total conflict: Both Stu and Rob are great people to deal with.
    ....ahhh....and I thought I was done buying tools for a bit...been checking the Tools from Japan website...anyone know if I can sell a kidney on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    ....ahhh....and I thought I was done buying tools for a bit...been checking the Tools from Japan website...anyone know if I can sell a kidney on ebay?
    Convert the currency to dollars - a kidney will get you quite a few tools.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If you're a die-hard LV type or have a local store, that's fine. If you're indifferent about where you buy, those sales mean a lot to stu. He's a one-man operation with a wife and two kids (and his prices are cheap any time the exchange rate is favorable), and until he came along, we didn't have any really good places to go for a combination of mid-grade and high end stuff (I still remember when he was sending around bits and pieces of stuff before he ever had a store). It was pretty much iyoroi from anyone buying from harima enterprises, with a little more selection from hida and JWW.
    I see that Stu also offers the paring chisels with the triangular section as well as beveled edge. It seems that they would be more handy for paring. Is there a downside to that style?

His fishtails are large than what LV sells. I would suppose with a 3mm or 6mm parer that a fishtail would be a specialized tool that isn't really needed... well any more than any of this stuff is NEEDED.

Any thoughts??
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    I see that Stu also offers the paring chisels with the triangular section as well as beveled edge. It seems that they would be more handy for paring. Is there a downside to that style?
    Which "they" are you talking about, shinogi or regular? Both work for paring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    His fishtails are large than what LV sells. I would suppose with a 3mm or 6mm parer that a fishtail would be a specialized tool that isn't really needed... well any more than any of this stuff is NEEDED.
    Not true, when they're needed they're needed to get into corners on an angle, and there are no size constraints.