Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an economical laser engraver to be used in a high school technology class

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk marshall View Post
    I'm game to give the homemade laser a go... but having a professional machine would make fabricating parts so much easier. The engineering involved in designing a homemade laser would be rather interesting and somewhat motivating. We are looking at the RepRap 3D printer too for that matter. These are great engineering activities where you can design and create machines that actually work. However... having a professional machine is the real answer right now. But thanks for the link... it's been added to my bookmarks!
    If you do consider a home or school made laser, there is allot of information in this thread even a pdf link in post #13 with some instructions and components needed to build one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Shades-of-Grey

Laser diodes and there Watt power ratings have came a long way. Also, there is a 15W TTL modulated 808nm laser available that can be easily mounted onto a CNC router that would make an easy project to construct and still keep your cost down. Do a search on eBay for "15000mw 808nm" It will cut some materials and has a 5000 hour life expectancy.

You can then use an open source controller program like Mach3 and will not be limited to proprietary software constraints. Mach3 has built in wizards to generate the gcodes easily within the same program and a plugin to engrave images also.

By using a CNC router, you could get a larger material capacity and it will double it's capabilities by either using the laser or a rotary spindle. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Jeff Woodcock; 05-31-2013 at 7:47 AM.
    40 Years exp. Master Machinist
    The information I received here was of absolutely no value, so I will not be a contributor any longer!!
    Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925
    Mini 445nm Laser Diode Engraver
    Kubotek KeyCreator/KeyMachinist Ver. 12.0 2D/3D CAD/CAM
    Picengrave Pro 4 + Laser Ver. 4.2.6
    PicLaser3D V1.0.0 -3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Kirk, check your PM (Private Messages)
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Here in the UK, schools have been using laser cutting and engraving machines in their technology classrooms for around 12 years. I would guess that around 1/4 of UK secondary schools now have them, some have several. Those that don't, would invariably have one on their wish list, but like you, can't get the funding agreed. Some have been able to get agreement to lease them, that might be an option for you to consider.

The quality of students' work varies quite a bit from school to school. Some is outstanding and some is pretty basic. Quite a few schools have examples on their websites. I understand from Universal that the UK education market for laser cutters is somewhat unique as countries go, but there's a reason behind it. State schools had to follow a national curriculum and within that curriculum was the requirement to teach CAD-CAM. For a while, schools tried using CNC routers and the like, but these were never really successful due to budgetary constraints forcing them to by Mickey Mouse machines, complexity of use and the time it took to run the jobs. Eventually, someone decided that a laser cutter would tick all the curriculum boxes and get the throughput of work that was required and before you knew it, word spread like wildfire.

The advice I would give you is to strengthen your case by organising some projects with your students that will show the powers that be how useful the machine will be.

Have a chat with the Universal and Epilog reps to see if they would bring a machine to the school for a day's demo based around cutting out students' designs. I supply these machines and have done this on several occasions. It can be a real game changer for teachers hoping to get funding.

The trick is to have everything prepared in advance. Make sure there are not going to be any file compatibility issues, find out which machine the rep will bring and have all the materials you are going to need sawn and ready for use. Keep the designs simple so you can show how productive it will be. The rep should have more complex samples.

With a bit of organisation, you could turn it into an event where you invite parents, local businesses and the like who might be prepared to sponsor a machine.

I agree entirely with Rodne about glass tubed machines in schools. On other safety issues such as the risk of fire, Universal has the edge, at least with their latest machines.

Hey Brian,

The school system over there is so much better in many ways than it is over here in the states. We travelled to England twice to compete in the F1 in Schools program sponsored by Andrew Denford. We had to show you guys some real American know-how... We won the International event in 2005 and placed 3rd in 2006 (I think those were the dates). That competition was designed to excite students about engineering, race car design and CNC manufacturing, but many of the teams used outside company support to do their machining and design...

Our yearly budgets would never allow a purchase of a decent Universal or Epilog machine. In either case, by the time you got all the things you need to have a good machine set up to run, you are looking at a $15,000 purchase. One year the district approved the rotary attachemnt, the blower and the compressor... but cut the machine. You have to scratch your head at times...

I have great support from local industry, but not the kind of support where any of them are going to drop $10,000 for a laser machine. The recession really has hurt this part of the country and eventhough we are better off right now, companies are trying to re-invest in their own businesses rather than donate to public schools.

Thanks for the message... I think it would be fun to teach over there for a year :-)

Kirk

Remember if you decide to go with a Rayjet (Trotec) SMC members get a discount from them.

Have you called and talked with Epilog, Trotec or ULS. (not just a rep but the factories) and let
    them know what you want to use it for, they may be able to set you up with a good price on a demo.
    Just a thought. it never hurts to ask...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Interested in what machine you decided to go with?

I would strongly recomend you do not get a Chinese machine - that is unless you desire the students to learn everything about a laser (everything from how to re-tap threads to getting the computer and machine to comunicate) and not just Cad/cam tech.
    I am with Rodney (and Dave S in a previous post) that saftey is insuficient for this audience.
    kind regards,
    John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    Kirk,
    The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question. I am a high school teacher and my school just got a FS laser this year. We love it, no issues thus far. I completely understand your budget issues and after all of my research we could only afford a Chinese laser also. Yes the FS laser is a tube chinese laser but it works great for us. Also I can call tech. support and a person picks up the phone usually on the first ring. BTW we use it for robots also.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question.
    I'd change that to read that some people don't read the posts. His questions were answered by a number of people, multiple times, as well as people sending him Private Messages about it.

How that statement can be made on this thread confuses me greatly. Seemed like it was VERY informative and very helpful.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have resolved to try to make my responses for 2014 kinder and gentler. Therefore I will refrain from response in this instance.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question.
    If you want an answer, Google it. If you want advice and opinions from real-world users, read through the posts and derive the answer from the collective knowledge here.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

May be a moot point by now and hope whatever machine you got ..know that its forward thinking of you to get a laser machine to begin with. I've reviewed and spoke with a lot of laser companies and to the contrary of some above I'd recommend an imported/USA machine. Especially if its going to be in a high school environment year after year. I've found Boss Laser impressive, and they offer discounts for schools. FS has a hobby laser worth checking out but support is in question in my opinion. Universal and Epilog may have more upscaled machines but I would be nervous about putting that nice of a machine in a high school environment for sure.

Hey All -

I hate to come off sounding like a "stick 'n the mud" - but, just wondering? - while it's certainly wonderful that students learn 'bout engraving - anybody have 'problem with their workshops (potentially) taking business 'way from local engraving shops? - 'least with products that schools might order? (i.e. signs, office & desk accessories - especially, awards & plaques, etc.) I've been told our local schools use their gear only for "training purposes", but I question this. Anybody know if schools have rules pertaining to "competing" with local businesses? If they are; wonder if anyone has ever brought this to the school's attention?

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Hey Bill: As you probably know, a laser can be used for so much more than engraving awards and plaques. Many schools have lasers as part of a digital fabrication program that enables students to build some pretty amazing things. You will find designers, engineers, architects, and woodworkers using them to create prototypes and finished products for a variety of projects. I would expect that we will see a lot more programs like these as more and more passionate enthusiasts spearhead the 3rd Industrial Revolution. These evangelists are tirelessly working to deliver cheaper machines and low-cost -- even free -- software to help young people get involved in the maker movement. In many larger cities, you will find fab labs in schools, libraries, maker spaces, and community centers.

I doubt there are rules at your local schools to regulate competition with local businesses. If you see these programs as a threat, you'll have to push yourself to do better work than high school and college kids. Utilize your experience as an engraver and a businessman to woo potential clients and hopefully your business will expand at a nice pace.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 05-18-2014 at 7:59 PM.

I think it would be a good thing if the students took some of the burden off the tax payer by producing some of their own awards and plaques for their own school only. Instead of paying an engraving company to do it which comes out of the school budget and is payed by us the tax payer. Lowering school budgets for stuff like that leaves more money for education. It would also give the makers and receivers a sense of pride and satisfaction. Hey The laser shop made these awards for my baseball team here at our school aren't they awesome.
    Ya know most schools have wood shops, machine shops, auto shops and the like, and I never hear any cabinet makers, auto garages or local machines shops worrying about the school taking their business.
    I really don't think any engraver has to worry about the local high school engraving shop taking his business, if he does maybe the engraving business is not right for him. JMHO
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander