Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Bench Holddown Catastrophic Failure

Veritas Bench Holddown Catastrophic Failure

I own two of Veritas's screw-action holddowns.

I have used them for several years, and found them convenient. A couple of weeks ago, however, one of them broke right at the pivot point. Looking at the poor, broken thing, it seems a miracle it held up as long as it did. Not much meat at a critical location.

I never tightened it other than by hand, nor did I strike it with tools. The point I am making is that they were not abused.

The lady at Veritas offered to sell a replacement arm to me for $21.50, but by the time I pay the shipping cost to Japan, I could almost buy a new one.

Chris Vandiver kindly gave me a couple of his Peter Ross's handforged traditional holddowns to use, and they are absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend them.

Simple is best. Caveat Emptor.

I had a similar experience.

The post that threads into the bottom works
    pulled out of the aluminum housing.

More to repair than to buy a set of Grammercy Holdfasts.

They're a delicate copy of the bullet proof Record version, which requires an inset collar.

One of my few disappointments coming from Ottawa.

So... after reading your posts I had to go check mine out. They seem fine, in spite of the way I have (miss) treated them. They are in constant use, frequently over tightened, and used as a hammer in a pinch. I have had them for maybe 15 years, possibly from when Veritas first introduced them.

Sorry to learn about your issues. It sounds like an original defect as opposed to anything you could do to these things.

Not much to go wrong on Peter Ross's or any hand-forged original holdfasts. Sorry to hear of your issue with the Veritas.

Blog Entries
    Good to know. I have a veritas holdfast like that. I also have two old style that I forged when I fist got my anvil. Not pretty, but they work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

@Stanley: Can you post the picture of the broken pivot. I have one holdfast from Veritas.

Sorry to hear of that failure and I am a bit surprised that LV charges for a failed part. I have both the LV and traditional holdfasts and find myself reaching most often for the LV because they hold so well. Perhaps I will change this around and used my driven ones most often. This potentially gives me yet another LV tool that has delivered less-than-expected performance. Several of mine sit unused or have been sold off.

I'm sure that when LV sees this thread,they'll make it right.

Probably a case of an underling being afraid to exceed their authority.

Where can one procure a pair of these hand forged holdfasts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    Where can one procure a pair of these hand forged holdfasts?

Tools for Working Wood sells them. They are for 3/4" holes in 1 3/4" thick top.

The Gramercy holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood may be recommended for a 1 3/4" top, but they still work well in my 3" top. I wouldn't be without them.

Blog Entries
    Stanley,

I also would be interested in a picture to see what failed.

My thought is the weakest link would be the roll pin. That wouldn't be too difficult to replace.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I looked at the ones on TFWW and I think they can't be beat for the price. I have a top slightly over 4" thick clamped up downstairs and was wondering if the forged ones may be a better fit.

FYI, I have the gramercy holdfasts and a 4" thick top. Work just fine.

c
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Mine costs more than the Grammercy from TFWW. They were forged by Peter Ross, are beefy, and work quite well. Black Bear Forge also sells them. No experience with them but Lie-Nielsen has started to sell holdfasts.