Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soundproofing small yet noisy workshop

What is it you are trying to build? Is this for a hobby, or are you trying to do something in particular.

If this is a hobby, or creative outlet, perhaps you could realign it a bit to something like scroll sawing.

You mention some things are not available where you live. If so, adjustment will have to be made.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What is it you are trying to build? Is this for a hobby, or are you trying to do something in particular.

If this is a hobby, or creative outlet, perhaps you could realign it a bit to something like scroll sawing.

You mention some things are not available where you live. If so, adjustment will have to be made.
    Hi, I'm sorry for replying late. Some things are not available as you name them, meaning that I may not have soundproofing carpets in the store, but they will be called polyurethane carpets without any mention of soundproofing, so I need to know what I'm looking for.

Mattias Wandel has a video on YouTube about this.
    I recently put alot of those interlocking cushion mats on the floor around my workbench machines.
    Seemed to make a diff.
    My ceiling has exposed rafters so I think that helps, too.
    Basically anything to break up the sound waves.
    I had a terrible problem in the waiting room at my office we put carpet on the walls help immensely (bad choice for shop, tho).
    I think the carpet squares are worth the try.

Another option is to change the way they feel about your woodworking, and in that way modify their tolerance for your work.

If you make cutting boards, (for example) make an extra one, and give it as a gift.

Lornie

Is there a makerspace nearby you could join?

Unfortunately, you typically need mass and decoupling (i.e., a room within a room) to help stop the transmission of sound. Carpets, etc. will only treat reflected echos in your room. Mechanical vibrations will be a lot more difficult to tame.

Roxul makes rockwool sound insulation batts (Sound and Safe) that I have installed in half of my basement shop ceiling. They seem to control a fair amount of noise. Once I get the rest of the ceiling done I think it will make a significant difference upstairs. Home Depot sells them at about $45 for 12 4' batts IIRC. It also acts as a fire retardant for the rest of the home.