Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever ship a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    I am starting anesthesia at Medical College of Wisconsin.
    My wife just walked through the door and can be heard getting "lunch." It's a bit after midnight and she left for the hospital a bit after five yesterday morning as an attending physician. Good luck.

check out the car train

Blog Entries
    I shipped our two cars when we moved from Seattle to California. One wentbin a van with other's belongings to me first. (i
    Imoved two months before the family). The other with our hoisehold belongings.

i also delivered a drive-away from Wisconsin to Houston Tx when I was younger. Both worked well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Some years ago there was a company that would arrange for someone to drive your car to the destination. It was a legit company and they provided insurance, etc. The shipping fee was good compared to other alternatives.

They, in turn, would find someone going in that direction who would get cheap transportation to that location. I don't know if they charged the driver or not - I was only on the shipping end.

I used them twice and both times everything went perfectly. Both cars were compact cars, with a fair amount of mileage on them - it was not a luxury ride for the drivers. I have no idea if those kind of companies are still around.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used Nick Dutko's service 'Car Shipping Carriers' to get my Passat wagon delivered from the dealer.

Open carrier, reasonable rates and the driver found me easier than the UPS driver.
    If your destination is a tight street, try to take delivery in a quiet parking lot.

It's smart, moving in a purpose built vehicle and letting somebody
    else handle moving the car. You'll have more than enough to manage.

http://www.carshippingcarriers.com/about-us/

PM if you want more info.

I appreciate everyone's input. Still considering all the options. Several family members are interested in coming out with us so if they can commit for sure we will just have them drive one of the cars and tow the other. We are strongly considering selling the car and buying another car after the move, and I am still looking at shipping companies.

I have gotten terminal to terminal quotes as low as $600 which I would definitely do, but the companies at that price range don't have a good reputation for timely delivery. I have a quote from a very good company for $1300 but by that price its not economically worth shipping it.

I am even considering flying home after the move and driving it myself, honestly, this is by far the cheapest option but takes time which I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Find a friend, buy him or her meals, motels and then a return airline ticket to SLC?
    This

I've heard way to many nightmares.