Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide

Blog Entries
    That would be cool. My tasai chisels are the worst for that, none of them fit. Most of the kikuhiromaru barely fit in the eclipse. Most of the koyamaichi fit, no problem.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-13-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Leaves quite to be desired as far as some useful data on their site... what is the difference between standard and chisel attachments, other than what appears to be slightly smaller notch? I can see chisel one being useful for very narrow chisels, where standard one might full close without grabbing the chisel, is that it? Pricey, but if it works well, I would consider it.

At $125, I'm trying very hard to understand the attraction.

Doesn't it have exactly the same functionality as the Eclipse?

It is made more precisely from solid stainless steel instead of cast poopoo, with multiple attachments to accommodate different thickness and length blades, as well as skewed blades, presumably with less slop and bowing out than the cheap one, giving you some pleasure every time you pick it up and admire (I'm assuming this) a well-made and thought-out tool, where meeting a price point wasn't the main consideration. Otherwise it is the same.

I think the standard jaws fit plane blades and wider chisels. The narrow jaws are for narrow chisels. I can tell you on Thursday.

For those of you who don't get the difference between this and the old Eclipse model jig, well you just need to use both of them and then ask that question again. One thing I read that I liked was the fact that the bearing is bronze and can be replaced. Wheels on the Eclipse jigs can get pretty sloppy after long use on water stones and the abrasive slurry they generate.

Note that the listing states that this honing guide was designed specifically for Lie-Nielsen tools. I wouldn't be surprised to see other jaws in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Note that the listing states that this honing guide was designed specifically for Lie-Nielsen tools.
    Hmm... "We have designed these jaws for our blades and chisels, not other makers."

I wonder if they incorporate some kind of DRM, so threads on the screw stay retracted unless it detects an LN blade.

The options of small chisel jaws, (which will also hold the fishtail chisels), mortice chisel jaws, two different skewed jaws, and the small blade jaws, make this rather more versatile than the Eclipse!!

David

They need to hire David to consult with their marketing department, because rather than calling the item by what it is and leaving it to people to think it through, he is calling it by what it is for, and making things much clearer:

Chisel Jaw Pair -> Narrow Chisel Jaws
    Long Jaw Pair -> Short Blade Jaws

Blog Entries
    It makes sense that they would not advertise it for other maker's chisels, which would introduce a great deal of variables.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think what disappoints me about this so far is complete lack of specifications so it is impossible to tell what the ominous warning about not using it with other makers means. I was really looking forward to a possible alternative to LV jig - and almost all of my tools are LV so I'll stay $200 richer I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    I think what disappoints me about this so far is complete lack of specifications so it is impossible to tell what the ominous warning about not using it with other makers means. I was really looking forward to a possible alternative to LV jig - and almost all of my tools are LV so I'll stay $200 richer I guess.

I think they are just being risk averse - they don't want somebody to find some plane iron or chisel that doesn't fit and then complain that they were misled by claims of universality. I got to try this out with my 3/8" LV chisel and it worked perfectly, so I suspect that it will work with lots of non-LN tools. They just want to be clear that they are only guaranteeing that it will work with LN tools. Having tried it I can say that it is a major improvement over my Eclipse knockoff in how nicely it grips the chisel, and I will definitely be buying one soon. I am not sold on all of the accessory jaws but most likely would think about the mortise chisel one, the skew one (which I hope will fit my LV skew rabbet), and possibly the long jaws if there is confirmation that these would work with shoulder plane irons and maybe some of the non-rectangular LV block plane irons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    Being a hand sharpening kind of guy my participation in this thread has until now been only in reading.

What specifications could they include for the average tool user to make it possible to tell if it was going to work with their tools?

It is unlikely for me to purchase a honing guide, guess the enrichment by a few hundred dollars will also accrue to me. It would be helpful if they listed the maximum plane blade size it will hold. LN used to be much better at supplying all the extra information some of us wood geeks crave. Maybe too many trolls with a micrometer made them decide to quit doing us such favors.

The "ominous warning about not using it with other makers" must have slipped by me. There is a mention that LN designed their honing guide to work with the tools they make. It seems honest to me to mention that it isn't designed to work with every tool from every maker since the beginning of Mankind began working wood.

Is there a single honing guide in existence, not counting bare hands, that makes the claim of being able to handle every blade ever made?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In my view reasonable and expected specification should include:

- height/width of notches, so user would know what is maximum and minimum thickness of chisel or blade that would be held securely
    - whether there is any tapering of notches/sides are they are even and parallel along the jaw
    - what is the required or suggested length of a blade, or parallel section of a blade, for each of the jaws to get "standard" sharpening angles - do I need a standard or long jaw for this spokeshave blade - how can I tell?
    - how much play is in the mechanism and can it accommodate blades where sides are X degrees out of parallel

It seems we have very low expectations for even the best toolmakers when it comes to giving specifications for their products. "Hey, here's the product, it is only intended for use with our blades, we won't even tell you anything about that, hope you can figure the rest out - maybe have some guys buy them on a forum and write the manual for others?". IMHO they must do better, this is not a $15 piece of junk you can just buy for the heck of it and toss if it doesn't work for you.

Edit: actually they do include information for length of blade required for standard and mortise jaws.
    Last edited by Marko Milisavljevic; 07-15-2015 at 2:19 PM.

I'm confident, based on past experience, that Lie-Nielsen will be able to answer most concerns, particularly after the new product has been in user's hands for a time. The saying:"You don't know what you don't know" applies here. How are they to know what products other then theirs will be compatible?

Here's one question I have: How will the heavily cambered cutter from the scrub plane be handled? The wheel is narrow enough to rock the jig, but the brass knob might hit the sharpening media doing that. Personally, I'm keeping an eclipse clone around for just such uses.