Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1221vs..Be Careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Stan since EVS with reverse and / or electronic deceleration/braking have been fitted to lathes the smarter manufacturers have been manufacturing face plates, chuck inserts etc with set screws to meet their "duty of care" to the turners who like to turn outboard, "left handed" or in reverse. It is a cheap & not a very practical design solution as many non manual reading turners have found out.

Vicmarc has designed a collar to fit into Vee grooves in both the spindle and accessory insert or face plate. Much more refined solution but of course it will only match lathes and accessories designed as companion accessories.

Be warned your chuck inserts may have the set screws too. They often have two grub screws one that screws against the spindle thread and another that goes through the rear of the insert to tighten against the rear face of the chuck body to prevent the body unwinding from the insert.
    I think my easy wood chuck has those set screws, but they are really hard to get at and I have never used them. Jet support did replace my spindle, but it was not easy for me to take off the old and replace it with a new spindle..... and get everything back in the exact right place. The set screws in the pulleys, speed collar etc. are so easy to get at either. Be careful to use the right size allen wrench. I ended up buying a longer metric allen wrench set that makes things easier. The motor has had some noises since I bought it and I'm not looking forward to replacing it either.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Been there, done that, have the marred spindle to prove it (but no t-shirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dougenik View Post
    Been there, done that, have the marred spindle to prove it (but no t-shirt)
    Shhhhhhhh...We shouldn't let anybody know that we take stupid pills some times.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I think my easy wood chuck has those set screws, but they are really hard to get at and I have never used them. Jet support did replace my spindle, but it was not easy for me to take off the old and replace it with a new spindle..... and get everything back in the exact right place. The set screws in the pulleys, speed collar etc. are so easy to get at either. Be careful to use the right size allen wrench. I ended up buying a longer metric allen wrench set that makes things easier. The motor has had some noises since I bought it and I'm not looking forward to replacing it either.
    I know what you are saying. We overhauled a couple of Jet mini's a few years back. Both were the older models with the control box outboard on the head stock end.

I got smart when I decided to buy a VL150 & read the manual before I purchased so I was wise to the set screws & collar. On an Australian forum one turner did not realize the safety collar was fitted to the faceplate & spindle.