Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Mas Ornament - what do you use for loop/eye on top of the ornament?

X-Mas Ornament - what do you use for loop/eye on top of the ornament?

What do you guys use for the loop/eye on the top of your x-mas ornaments... wire if so what gauge and how do you make yours? Do you glue it in?
    Or something else?

Hi Ken,

I bought a couple of 100 count packs of Chrome and Gold colored small eye screws from ebay... I recommend pre-drilling and I usually put a tiny bit of glue on the threads.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Frohnert View Post
    What do you guys use for the loop/eye on the top of your x-mas ornaments... wire if so what gauge and how do you make yours? Do you glue it in?
    Or something else?

I was using very small gold eye screws that I bought at Ace Hardware. Then I switched to earring wires that I found at Michaels. I drill a very small hole. Put a drop of CA on the straight end of the wire and stick it in the hole. If need be I reshape the hook after the wire is in place.

it was recommended to me not to use bought eye screws any more ...so I make these instead...glue it in a hole and looks nice...not too big...this is stainless steel wire I had on hand...
    2015-10-17 14.42.58sm.jpg

Hi Steve ...any idea why it was recommended to not use bought eye screws?

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bistritz View Post
    it was recommended to me not to use bought eye screws any more ...so I make these instead...glue it in a hole and looks nice...not too big...this is stainless steel wire I had on hand...
    2015-10-17 14.42.58sm.jpg

Possibly because the tiny little threaded parts break off so easily while you are screwing them in. There is no way to get them out. Anybody have a micro tiny easy out? I like the decorative eyes from Craft Supplies.

Dubdubdub.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/62/5602/Turners-Select-Ornament-Eyelet-Screws-10-Pack?term=ornament%20hanger

The only problem with these is it is really hard to find a wire gauge drill bit small enough for them. THey are really small.

You can also use a small diameter copper or steel wire, wrap it around a tooth pick, give it a twist, and cut it off about 50% longer than you want the finished hanger to be. Then bend part of the wire tail up, leaving the wire just short of touching back on itself. This forms a barb so when you push it into the hole, the barb grabs wood, keeping it from coming out. A tiny drop of super glue is recommended for permanence.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Ken, most of my ornaments are made on the scroll saw, I've only made a few on the lathe so far. What I use, are tiny screw eye loops. I bought a thousand of each, they are silver and gold in color. They only cost me a total of $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping and they only took ten days to arrive. I purchased them through the Ali-Baba site, and the transaction was smooth and easy. I usually use a couple of hundred of them per year, so, buying them in bulk like this was a whole lot cheaper than buying them locally.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    I was using very small gold eye screws that I bought at Ace Hardware. Then I switched to earring wires that I found at Michaels. I drill a very small hole. Put a drop of CA on the straight end of the wire and stick it in the hole. If need be I reshape the hook after the wire is in place.
    Agree on this....have been using them for years on ornaments and earrings I laminate out of scrap wood...

Hey Barry ... got any pics of the earrings you make ?

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Agree on this....have been using them for years on ornaments and earrings I laminate out of scrap wood...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Hey Barry ... got any pics of the earrings you make ?

Tim

Sure Tim....here's some...

Earings.jpgEarings1.jpg

Tim, do you happen to remember what you paid for the 100 count screw eyes, that you purchased off of E-bay?
    Len

Hi Len ... sorry, I don't remember as it's been a couple of years. They're dirt cheap ... buy a couple different sizes.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Tim, do you happen to remember what you paid for the 100 count screw eyes, that you purchased off of E-bay?
    Len

His take was if you are going to create something you shouldn't buy cheap hardware to hang it from....so I changed and to be honest, the small loop just looks better...I make them sitting in front of the tv so I have them when I need them...

Hi Steve,

I never thought of the eye screws as being cheap in appearance. I'll take a closer look at the handmade versions. Regardless, to each his own.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bistritz View Post
    His take was if you are going to create something you shouldn't buy cheap hardware to hang it from....so I changed and to be honest, the small loop just looks better...I make them sitting in front of the tv so I have them when I need them...

I use the same style as Steve in post #4. Buying the little screw eyes is expensive and they have a tendency to split the wood unless the exact correct pilot hole is drilled... Most of the commercial eyes are too big.
    The little ones made like Steve does are free with a little scrap brass wire. They are tiny and do not overpower the ornament. A little CA in the hole and twist the eyelet into a 1/16" hole, easy neat, delicate and free. It only takes a few seconds to twist a few.
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 02-16-2016 at 10:52 AM.