Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on metal laser engravers

Scott,

What would be the best way to cut this foil? I'd like to get a good edge.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Good View Post
    Scott,

What would be the best way to cut this foil? I'd like to get a good edge.

Jim
    I have no idea, but I have seen steel shim stock, .003" thick, cut on a galvo fiber and the items were small, like 1/4" diameter circles. The problem, in my opinion, is that the galvo is so fast, that the cut never has a chance to dissipate the heat enough before the beam comes back for another pass. With that much energy blasting into .003" thick metal, it just was a mess. I suppose it's possible to use less power and more passes and finally get a good result. I'm not sure, I only saw it one time, when it was being tried.

I've never known galvo fiber's to be great at cutting much of anything. Rastering, fantastic, cutting, not so much, but someone with more knowledge on the subject might educate both of us
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've got some material and I can throw a file together to play with if someone would like to try. The results may be of interest here. We can post some pictures. Any thoughts!?!

Jim

Googling again!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvavw57TIg
    Can be done but not sure of the edge.
    Gravograph IS8000XP.
    Gravograph iS200.
    Gravostyle 7 Graphic
    CorelDraw x7

Jim

Any chance that a vinyl cutter would do the trick?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7