Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The $1000 Radial Arm Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    My general rule of thumb for CL is 1/2 of new. We sold my wife's John Deere rider at that price - not 1/2 of what she paid but 1/2 of what a new equivalent mower cost new with the accessories she had. But it was also the start of mowing season when people were in the market for mowers. We had lots of calls. I also looked at the other adds and we were in the low end of the pack. Not the cheapest but not the highest either. And it had low hours.

I sold a nice woodstove for abou 25% of new. But I didn't think that market was as good as the mower market. The first guy who looked at it wouldn't pay that and I sent him away. The next couple were thrilled to have it. The paint was also nicked a little on the top.

I sold my DC for about 1/3 of new with a dented cartridge filter which I didn't include in the calculation. Again I thought that was a limited market. I sold it to a nice young man, the first to look at it. I had another guy offer me less without seeing it.

I still think 1/2 of then new pricing is a fair starting point but for stuff really in demand you may be able to go higher and if you want rid of the stuff and/or the market is limited, you should think of going lower. People that ignore that might get lucky, it only takes one buyer, but I think they will typically be disappointed.
    22' sailboats sell for 5% of new, while 16' sell for 30%. I want a small one, but it burns when I can buy a big one for less. (for those who don't know, a 22' will weigh 2200 pounds and a 16' maybe 400; so they are very different animals)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sloop View Post
    If his saw looks like this, PM quick!Attachment 335732
    His saw looks nothing like that one. That's a saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sloop View Post
    If his saw looks like this, PM quick!Attachment 335732
    Here's one near me, if you want one: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...437843821.html; There are a few 14" too. Dan

This one must be clad in gold and rhinestones, they're asking $3500 for an old Dewalt: http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5541913470.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    This one must be clad in gold and rhinestones, they're asking $3500 for an old Dewalt: http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5541913470.html
    I bought a GWI about a month ago, no table or legs but with all 3 guards, both pawls and NO rust (paint mostly looks new). Had to replace the motor bearings, but with that, the table build (including stainless mounting hardware)--i'm less than 10% of the asking price of this one!! At 5" crosscut, it's within half a thousandth, same with the 45 deg miter--sweet machine and great motor but at $3,500 i'd be looking at a new Original Saw machine.

earl

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post

But it's VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    A neighbor at the farm asked me what I thought a fair price was for a radial arm saw he had, an old Delta model not all that nice. I told him he could have my old radial arm saw if that gave him a clue. He "strongly" disagreed and listed it for a thousand dollars but is willing to accept $950. I tried to tell him they were not sought after these days, but he didn't believe it.
    Depending on the model, the saw may very well be worth $975 for the right buyer. A new Delta 33-400 14" RAS that is comparable to my 1951 Delta 40B sells for over $5,700. To put it another way, a used Rolls Royce that is "not all that nice" may be worth more than a new VW. But its probably easier to sell the VW because the market is much larger.