Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This one is for the old guys.

First tractor I drove at 13 required a crank to start (small Allis Chalmers). Had a 1960Triumph TR-3A that had a pull switch that I changed out to a spring loaded toggle switch. It also had a crank so the car could be started on a dead battery. Used that a number of times.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    OK, I will throw in a weird one. Several British cars I have had used a starter button on the dash, which you pulled, rather than pushed. Austin Healey, MG, etc.
    Yes, my David Brown has a pull switch starter. Cheers

OK, I will throw in a weird one. Several British cars I have had used a starter button on the dash, which you pulled, rather than pushed. Austin Healey, MG, etc.
    I know of a little red Morris that does that too.

I have also used the crank start on it too. People seriously do not believe the hole in the front bumper is so you can crank start it!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

The things we did to Morris Minors, they were at the bottom of the food chain so to speak...they were the days of no money and cheap cars.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

My 1961 Rambler, you turn on key, and push the neutral button. The car has push buttons for the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    My first truck was a Datsun I had to start it with a screw driver by holding it across the end of the starter solenoid.I did finally buy a new starter.I was earning a 100 a week roofing and cigs were 75 cents a pack.
    Am I old enough ?
    I was more industrious than you. I ran a piece of 12g romex to the solenoid and wired it to a simple toggle switch.

And my dad used to send me to the nearby gas station with a quarter to buy his daily pack... and I had a nickel change.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    My first truck was a Datsun I had to start it with a screw driver by holding it across the end of the starter solenoid.I did finally buy a new starter.I was earning a 100 a week roofing and cigs were 75 cents a pack.
    Am I old enough ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    I was more industrious than you. I ran a piece of 12g romex to the solenoid and wired it to a simple toggle switch.

And my dad used to send me to the nearby gas station with a quarter to buy his daily pack... and I had a nickel change.
    My 1957 VW Bus had a 6 volt system. Over time the wire from the battery in the back running to the front and back again to the starter would develop enough voltage drop to not actuate the starter solenoid. I forgot to put the piece of metal between the engine and the rest of the car in when I rebuilt the engine. I could reach through and short the starter connections to get it to turn over and work the throttle on the carburetor. Eventually I discovered VW made a small relay to handle this problem. I bought one and it kept me from having to get into the back to start it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Smith View Post
    My 1961 Rambler, you turn on key, and push the neutral button. The car has push buttons for the transmission.

First car I remember as a kid was a Rambler with push button transmission buttons. It was a red station wagon. It was likely about a 1963 or so.

I had a hot rod '54 Ford that I started occasionally with a pair of pliers to short between the two legs of the solenoid. You had to remember to hold the two legs together tightly, or you could become part of the circuit.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    First tractor I drove at 13 required a crank to start (small Allis Chalmers). Had a 1960Triumph TR-3A that had a pull switch that I changed out to a spring loaded toggle switch. It also had a crank so the car could be started on a dead battery. Used that a number of times.

Allis Chalmers WC per chance? I was too small to crank it, probably too small to drive it but I remember if you didn't operate the crank right, it could kick back and break your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Allis Chalmers WC per chance? I was too small to crank it, probably too small to drive it but I remember if you didn't operate the crank right, it could kick back and break your arm.
    Can't remember the model number but I do remember the kick back. That was 61 years ago for me.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Can't remember the model number but I do remember the kick back. That was 61 years ago for me.
    Small Allis Chalmers were the C (3 speed) and the CA (4 speed - 4th being road speed)
    We had the C with mower and cultivator attachments

My 2005 Prius also has a starter button on the dash, although you push it. "Reboot button" would be more like it. Anyone who ever drove a Prius would know what I mean. There were and still are some fine old cars out there but some things have definitely changed.

Well, nobody's mentioned it so far so I guess that makes me the old fogey but one or more of my early cars had a choke. I can't remember whether it was my '40 Ford woody or my '47 Chevy. My recollection is that the ford had a starter button on the dash and the Chevy had it on the floorboard. The Ford had mechanical brakes and the Chevy had a vacuum shift. That took some muscle in the winter.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post

z

Cigarettes went to $.23 a pack you use a quarter in the machine you get .02 back in the cellophane
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!