Thread: Oneway Coring System Setup on American Beauty

Oneway Coring System Setup on American Beauty

I just received my Oneway Coring System (24 inch model), and am trying to decide the best way to shim it up to fit the 25 inch American Beauty. Anyone out there already figured this out? I see two obvious options: 1) put plugs in the posts to raise the cutter and follower up about an inch, or 2) put a 1 inch or so piece of plywood under the whole base unit, on the bed ways. I'm sure this will require a longer bolt in the mounting block which is no big deal.

thanks in advance for any input.

Not sure if my experience with this coreing system will help you but for me I want mine to be rock solid. Thus I would suggest steel 'slug' be installed in the posts. If you do this, don't forget to leave it a little short so you are able to use the screw for final adjustment. I think plywood under it would allow more flex than I would want.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The way I see it, is that you only have to move up the cutter 1/2" to be at the center of 25" rather than 24" . That's within the adjustability of the setup.

Okay, I got curious as I have the same equipment but haven't had a reason to use the coring system on my new AB yet. I previously had the 24" Oneway machine. I dug out the coring rig and set it up on the AB/

You should have received some 7/8" X 3 1/2" solid steel plugs (4) that drop into the tool post holder and the support arm holder. As there is not enough adjustment available in the allen head bolts at the bottom of each post, I will cut two 1/2" pieces of the solid steel plugs and add them to increase the tool height to the proper 12 1/2" center height.
    Last edited by Tom Albrecht; 12-16-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    The way I see it, is that you only have to move up the cutter 1/2" to be at the center of 25" rather than 24" . That's within the adjustability of the setup.

Okay, I got curious as I have the same equipment but haven't had a reason to use the coring system on my new AB yet. I previously had the 24" Oneway machine. I dug out the coring rig and set it up on the AB/

You should have received some 7/8" X 3 1/2" solid steel plugs (4) that drop into the tool post holder and the support arm holder. As there is not enough adjustment available in the allen head bolts at the bottom of each post, I will cut two 1/2" pieces of the solid steel plugs and add them to increase the tool height to the proper 12 1/2" center height.
    I did not receive any solid steel plugs with the kit; is this a standard item shipped from Oneway? Maybe the plugs were already installed in the posts upon arrival.

My measurements indicate I need about 1 inch or so adjustment to just allow the allen head bolts to make the final height. I don't want the allen head bolts to project any further out the bottom of the posts than necessary.

I got my system 25 years ago, so I don't remember what was included or optional. I am sure the steel plugs came from Oneway, as they were packed neatly in a small white box.

If they are no longer available from them, or if shipping makes it too costly, you could probably pick something up at a local machine shop. If you got two solid posts @ 7/8" X 4" you'd be good to go with some minor allen screw adjusting-- that's assuming that the rest of the system design is the same as it was 25 years ago.

Oneway post 2.JPG

Oneway post 1.JPG
    Last edited by Tom Albrecht; 12-16-2016 at 12:12 PM.