Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Lie-Neilson bench plane

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I own the LN 102 and the small rabbet plane and chisel plane. I would say it is the 102 for me. I have heard many good thing of the #4 also but I have veritas plane for that segment and a stanley #4.
    Perhaps it is my taste but I find that LN has more flare in the design while Veritas is more mechanical and ergonomic.....

Each to his/her own taste in maker tools.
    Hoping Santa will bring me a LN 102 for Christmas. I have an original vintage Stanley 102. Once you have it dialed in it's a very handy tool.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Jerry, If you can wait... go to the L-N Hand Tool Event in Chicago on January 27-28. You can test drive the whole fleet, do side by side comparisons, explore frog angles and so on. Using them will help you decide. That said, I have Stanley 4 and 5's but like the LN 4 1/2 HA for many final passes. The other LN I really appreciate using is the Rabbet Block Plane.

Good tip

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Jerry, If you can wait... go to the L-N Hand Tool Event in Chicago on January 27-28. You can test drive the whole fleet, do side by side comparisons, explore frog angles and so on. Using them will help you decide. That said, I have Stanley 4 and 5's but like the LN 4 1/2 HA for many final passes. The other LN I really appreciate using is the Rabbet Block Plane.
    Good tip Bill...that's an easy way to evaluate... didn't realize they were coming to Chicago do you know where it's being held? I suppose I could look it up online thanks Bill great advice
    Jerry

Jerry, since you have an entire suite of Stanleys, I'd do one of two things. Either buy the LN version of the plane you use the most, or buy an LN version of one you don't already have - like their shooting plane, etc.

But honestly? I'd buy the LN version of the one you use the most. For me, that would be a #4.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Hoping Santa will bring me a LN 102 for Christmas. I have an original vintage Stanley 102. Once you have it dialed in it's a very handy tool.
    It's also my favourite. I raised a panel with one the other day, I was very surprised at how well it worked.

I have the rabbiting block plane, scraper plane, Miter plane, and #4 smoother. Really want the # 5 1/2 even though I have a vintage stanley #6 that I just love using.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I love my LN 4-1/2. I also use it as a shooting plane.

For me this is an easy answer. I love my LN #8 and use it daily. I have a bunch of other great planes and the three I use most are the low angle block, # 8, and #62.

I would start with a 4 or 4 1/2.

Personally I have their 4 1/2, the LA jack and rabbet block plane. They are all Cadillacs :-)

BTW the WoodRiver planes are well worth a look (yeah, I know made in China). So far I have their block planes and a 4, 6 & 7.
    They perform quite well even competing with the LN.

The only LV planes I have is a shoulder plane (like the design better than Stanley/LN) and their spokeshaves.

Blog Entries
    I have the 60 1/2 and a bronze 140. They both fill a special place in my collection.

?? LN LA Jack?

Several years ago when I was starting my interest in hand tools, I recall the talk then was of the OUTSTANDING performance of the then new LN LA Jack plane? Is that still true or has the technology caught up with the demand? Or some even better? Thanks
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Several years ago when I was starting my interest in hand tools, I recall the talk then was of the OUTSTANDING performance of the then new LN LA Jack plane? Is that still true or has the technology caught up with the demand? Or some even better? Thanks
    In the time period you mention there has been the development of planes made pretty much exclusively for shooting purposes. My use of the LN LA Jack (#62) is primarily for shooting. It does come in handy at times for cleaning up proud dovetails and other tasks involving end grain. Occasionally it does get used on face grain or edge grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I started with a LN 5-1/2. I did so just because I could interchange blades with a #7 and a #4-1/2 (which showed up in short order after the first one). But I still really like the 5-1/2.

My basic rotation is still 5-1/2 with big camber set heavy -> #7 with slight camber set fine, -> 4-1/2 minor camber set super super light. I like the chipbreaker over a traditional scrub because it just makes less mess.

I eventually filled out my line up with an antique #4 and #3, for getting tearout in small patches, but I still reach for the 5-1/2 quite a bit. I wish LN would offer one without a blade so I could grab a LV PMV11.

More temptation....

Since this thread, I followed your advice and acquired a LN #4..Haven't really used it much but feel comfortable it will perform at least as good as My 2 LN block planes.Its reputataion precedes it..

Next week, LN comes to town (thanks for tip Bill) and is conducting a workshop here....Another buying opportunity (w/o shipping charges)...My dilemma will be what is the next 2nd best target? I will stick with the bench planes although the shoulder plane, router plane are somewhat attractive..
    So many choices.. The slope beckons.. Thanks for your help.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Since this thread, I followed your advice and acquired a LN #4..Haven't really used it much but feel comfortable it will perform at least as good as My 2 LN block planes.Its reputataion precedes it..

Next week, LN comes to town (thanks for tip Bill) and is conducting a workshop here....Another buying opportunity (w/o shipping charges)...My dilemma will be what is the next 2nd best target? I will stick with the bench planes although the shoulder plane, router plane are somewhat attractive..
    So many choices.. The slope beckons.. Thanks for your help.
    I actually find the cabinetmakers scraper to be helpful, most guys don't. My up vote would be for the #7, I love jointing and flattening boards by hand.