Thread: Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

I've never been a fan of leg vises. I've used them on benches I've built and others and have always wondered "where is the beef". I've found them fiddly and with holding power no greater than a good English metal QR vise.

That has changed. On the traveling bench I've installed a leg vise using a Lake Erie Toolworks wood screw and all I can say is "forgive me father for I have beared false witness".

That sucker is fast and clamps whatever you put in the vise and without going all Conan it holds with no movement no matter how hard you press. While I like my metal QR vise, I think I'm in love with the new leg vise on the travel bench. So much so I've eyed the main bench to see if I could retrofit a leg vise with a wood screw. Sad to say no joy but what the hey it might give me an excuse to build a new main bench.

Good to know. This is a decision I'll be making in the next month or so hopefully. I've never used a leg vise but from reading about them I like the idea. I like the coarse threads of a wooden vise screw for the speed. But having never used one, is there any disadvantage to the wooden screw? Dimensional stability issues? Less strength than a metal screw?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    Good to know. This is a decision I'll be making in the next month or so hopefully. I've never used a leg vise but from reading about them I like the idea. I like the coarse threads of a wooden vise screw for the speed. But having never used one, is there any disadvantage to the wooden screw? Dimensional stability issues? Less strength than a metal screw?
    Matthew,

I'm sure from engineering standpoint the metal screw is stronger. You'd have to ask Patrick that question for the how much. From a use standpoint, I like this wood screw better than the metal screws I've used. I'll add one more factor that could change my likes and that is I've never used a metal screw with the Benchcrafted "criss-cross". The criss-cross could be a game changer, I just don't know.

With all that rot said, for first bench builds I still advocate using a English metal QR vise. They are an easier and quicker install so you can get on to what's important, using the bench, instead of mucking around building it.

ken

The criss-cross isn't a "game-changer" per se even though the screw where I have one is wood, but is a nice upgrade if you do it. I don't see where it would be any different for metal threads. A game-changer might be a quick-release metal leg vise ( I would still use wood screws.). I love the criss-cross, but it is a luxury in both cost and function.

Leg vises are very useful IMO. I wouldn't do without one on at least one bench. And wood screws are the only way to go. I can't imagine cranking out a metal screw to 7-8" to grab something wide, plus they just look more inviting.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 05-02-2018 at 7:37 AM.

5. Te Absolvo.

Ken,

Welcome to the other side

If you go the retrofit route, or even if not, Jim's chain drive for leg vises is great. I love mine.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Ken,

Welcome to the other side

If you go the retrofit route, or even if not, Jim's chain drive for leg vises is great. I love mine.

Best,
    C
    Chris,

From a quick look my guess is it would be less work to just build a new bench vs. a retrofit. This bench is so good and works very well with the QR I doubt I will go down that road. There is a chance I will retire the travel bench to a permanent home in the motorhome and build a shop sized Moravian for its place in the shop. I know it is a sickness but any excuse to build a bench works for me.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Matthew,

I'm sure from engineering standpoint the metal screw is stronger. You'd have to ask Patrick that question for the how much. From a use standpoint, I like this wood screw better than the metal screws I've used. I'll add one more factor that could change my likes and that is I've never used a metal screw with the Benchcrafted "criss-cross". The criss-cross could be a game changer, I just don't know.

With all that rot said, for first bench builds I still advocate using a English metal QR vise. They are an easier and quicker install so you can get on to what's important, using the bench, instead of mucking around building it.

ken
    I do have an old WC Toles quick release vise that will probably be going on the bench first. Thing probably weighs 30 lbs and it is rock-solid. I figured I'd keep it on the vise just until I can afford the components to get a leg vise together but who knows how long that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    The criss-cross isn't a "game-changer" per se even though the screw where I have one is wood, but is a nice upgrade if you do it. I don't see where it would be any different for metal threads. A game-changer might be a quick-release metal leg vise ( I would still use wood screws.). I love the criss-cross, but it is a luxury in both cost and function.

Leg vises are very useful IMO. I wouldn't do without one on at least one bench. And wood screws are the only way to go. I can't imagine cranking out a metal screw to 7-8" to grab something wide, plus they just look more inviting.
    Hovarter Custom Vise makes a quick-release leg vise screw that is actually cheaper than a lot of wooden vise screws. I haven't read any reviews of it but it looks pretty spiffy.

I'll give a thumbs up on the Hovarter leg vise hardware. I have to be careful what I say but it makes a very nice quick release leg vise. I used it to make a vise with tall jaws that has been very handy.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service