Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A 20hp phase perfect would require a 150amp breaker. That's gettin' up there for a residential application!
    The info is on their website. Select phase perfect from products and scroll down. Links to individual models are not highlighted, but will take you to individual models. Scroll down and you will find product downloads.
    Last edited by joe milana; 12-12-2019 at 9:12 PM.

150 amp breaker!

That would mean I need like a 400 amp panel. I don’t even know if such a panel exists. Actually yeah they do, the big stupid fancy 20k sq ft houses I used to work on all had them “I think”.....

Hmm,

Looks like I’m gonna get stuck with a 10 hp unit and darned performax or Woodmaster poc....

In all honestly the 10 hp would take care of all my machinery needs and I could get this all taken care of in the next couple months of so.

Found a electrician on a job site today “licensed insured” that can pull a permit and do it on the side. Said probably like $3k to upgrade from a 100 to 200 amp service and wire in the phase perfect. I guess code requires it have a knife shutoff and a sub panel of its own.

I also just read somewhere a thread on this forum that was old.. that at least one of the 20hp models can have a 30amp plug wired to it and plugged directly into 220. Not sure it’s true but I’ll call them tomorrow and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    A 20hp phase perfect would require a 150amp breaker. That's gettin' up there for a residential application!
    The info is on their website. Select phase perfect from products and scroll down. Links to individual models are not highlighted, but will take you to individual models. Scroll down and you will find product downloads.

Having to go up from 100 amp anyway, it might not be that much more to go to 400. At least, it's not that much difference here, except mainly for the second of two 200 amp panels. The 400 amp service entrance typically feeds two different 200 amp panels, so one of those could go in your shop. A 200 amp service would be one main panel, but you're still probably going to want a subpanel fed from that anyway, for your shop.

Hmmm,

Good point. The main panel to my house is in my shop now so..

Your point is 400 service is normally two 200 amp panels. I could just use one for the house and one for the shop.

Not a bad idea Tom..

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Having to go up from 100 amp anyway, it might not be that much more to go to 400. At least, it's not that much difference here, except mainly for the second of two 200 amp panels. The 400 amp service entrance typically feeds two different 200 amp panels, so one of those could go in your shop. A 200 amp service would be one main panel, but you're still probably going to want a subpanel fed from that anyway, for your shop.

Happy to spend your money.