Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grund View Post
And that is why this diesel will be my last. It does amazing the times I need it to heavy haul, but nothing I couldn’t absolutely do with gas.
It’s really irks me that they shut the engines down over a fluid that only effects emissions and is not detrimental to the engine at all. Not just running out, but any fault in that def or dpf system will shut it down, at least in the duramax. And if that part isn’t readily available, the vehicle is down for the count.
The Germans are serious about emissions, and I don't know of any trucks made for the German market that have gasoline engines. I stopped looking at the market when I bought my Ranger, but the only motors available for any of the other brands were diesel.

The AdBlue warning light for my truck starts when about 2,500KM of range remains in the reservoir, which is about three full tanks of fuel at Autobahn speeds. The audible warning starts when about 1,000KM or range remains, so I can't imagine anyone being a victim of the engine shutdown with so much advanced warning. I imagine anyone who would be caught by surprise by an empty DEF tank would also be crushed to death by a glacier that sneaks up on them. The audible warning can be dismissed until the next engine start.

Every hardware store and gas station sells the containers of AdBlue. Nearly every gas station has at least one dispenser at the pumps and the cost at the pump is about €0.60 per liter. I routinely top of the 20-liter AdBlue tank every 4,000KM, which takes about 10 liters.