Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Most Difficult Power Tool In The Wood Working Shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Michael,
    check out Tips From a Shipwright where Louie puts a 10” table saw blade on his angle grinder.
    Uhgggg...... That made me physically ill. I only use a 4" grinder with a 3.5" blade, and only when I just figure out a better way to make the cut. Sometimes, I use it when I'm working with aluminum, and that's when things get real sketchy.

Me. I have been called both difficult and "a tool". I just play the senior citizen card and continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I've never seen anyone say, "I did everything right and still had a table saw accident." I guess it must be possible, but generally it's the arrogant or lazy guys who think guards, push sticks, and featherboards are for wimps.

If you want to see some amazing accidents that seem to defy the laws of physics, Google "buffer accident." It is astonishing how clever a buffer can be. You can't trust common sense when it comes to a buffer. You really have to do what the experts tell you. You will not be able to anticipate all the buffer's tricks.

Guy I read about on a knife forum was stabbed in the heart by his buffer. Not a beginner, either.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ident.1230491/
    There are times when the operator may have done all the right things, but it turns out the wood had tension in it and pinched the blade or moved away from the fence creating a dangerous situation.
    A splitter will help this a lot, but I think it's more important to pay really close attention and shut off the saw mid-cut if things are getting hinky.
    Or do as I now do which is to perform all hardwood ripping at the bandsaw. I don't know of a way to tell that a particular board has case hardening or tension just by looking at it.

That buffer accident is frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    nonsense on the people who dont use guards are arrogant or lazy or thinking people that don't use stuff are wimps. The ones i knew were just trained in the trade and went on for 50 -60 plus years doing stuff as they learned. They were the least arrogant people ive met in my life.
    There are plenty of people like the ones I described. If you want, I can dig up their comments and post them here.

As for people who went 60 years without bothering to learn about safety, what excuse is there for that? It's not like the information is classified.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

they learned safety in their teens when they did their apprenticeships. They did a lifetime on the machines they way they learned and they were fine.

There are people on here as well that don't use guards or minimal. The ones ive read were not arrogant or calling people wimps that use guards.

Blog Entries
    Maurice,
    I belong to Nova Labs, a maker space here in northern Virginia. They have a great system. In order to use a machine, you have to take a safety and skills class. Every member carry’s a proximity fob that they use to turn machines on. It won’t work on machines unless you have taken the class and gotten signed off. I only belong for the two 100w laser engravers so I can’t use their bandsaw even though it’s the same brand and model as mine.
    This is lovely to read about! Some of my Dads 19 grandchildren are taking an interest in his crumbling shop full of wonderful tools. Several of my nephews are looking to me for guidance about creating things with power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    they learned safety in their teens
    Apparently, they did not. If they had, they would do things the right way. And everyone knows safety is something you have to keep up with. A person who thinks he learned it all 60 years ago is the kind of person who has unnecessary accidents. That's arrogance.

I've seen movies of people using machine tools without goggles. That was normal before people knew better. When knowledge improved, responsible people bought goggles. Men used to install and remove asbestos without respirators. There was a time when every table saw made left the factory without a guard. People are supposed to get smarter with time.

If you read up on safety, you'll learn that an awful lot of the people who have terrible accidents are arrogant old professionals who have decades of experience and think they know everything. People think it's always weekend warriors. That's completely wrong. Go to Youtube, and you'll see no end of professionals using angle grinders and table saws without guards. There's a Sawstop promotional video featuring a seven-fingered former professional.

They did a lifetime on the machines they way they learned and they were fine.
    Except for the many who were maimed.

Michael,
    check out Tips From a Shipwright where Louie puts a 10” table saw blade on his angle grinder.

Some genius marketed an angle grinder disk with chainsaw chisels around the rim. If you want to see something disturbing, look up a video about it made by a guy who calls himself Stumpy Nubs. Mr. Nubs thought the disk was a really stupid and dangerous idea, so he made a video to warn people. While he was using the disk for the video, the grinder took off, went through his glove, and mutilated his left hand. After that, surgery and rehab. The poor guy was trying to help people, and he got nailed by probability.

I'll save people the trouble of looking the video up.

Warren didn't say they didn't bother to learn about safety.

You belittle people with 50 or 60 years experience, and exactly how many years of woodworking experience do you have?

Maybe you think that you know more than you actually do.

There are plenty of people like the ones I described. If you want, I can dig up their comments and post them here.

As for people who went 60 years without bothering to learn about safety, what excuse is there for that? It's not like the information is classified.

He said they learned it half a century ago. That is not possible. You can't learn today's safety methods half a century ago.

Criticizing what I say is more appropriate than criticizing me. If what I say is wrong, it should be easy to disprove.

Not exactly woodworking, but according to the accident data, the most dangerous military pilot has ~3,000 hours of flight time and 5-10 years of experience. Older pilots with more experience usually have good safety practices. There aren’t many old pilots with poor safety practices. And the new pilots tend to follow the safe procedures that are taught.

Separately, everyone fights complacency when it comes to safety. No one is immune. Complacency kills.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Me. I have been called both difficult and "a tool". I just play the senior citizen card and continue on.
    I too have been called a "Tool". The kids will eventually tell me what that means (not looking forward to learning the meaning).

This photo was taken just after moving my machines into the new shop. There are 3 table saws in the photo; none have guards. Will be celebrating my 79th birthday in less than 2 weeks. Still have all my fingers.

It is not guards that keep you safe--it is working safely.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have worked at woodworking and metalworking for over 50 years, so yes I am one of those old guys "that thinks he knows everything" And you are one of those with ..... oh yeah , you didn't say did you, So I'll ask again, how many years experience? Telling me that I don't know what I'm doing. you are a joke.

He said they learned it half a century ago. That is not possible. You can't learn today's safety methods half a century ago.

Criticizing what I say is more appropriate than criticizing me. If what I say is wrong, it should be easy to disprove.

I wear safety glasses when I'm using tools that might require their use. I do not use goggles unless they are needed. Goggles are for use when using a grinder or some other tool where you can expect things to be bouncing around and entering the eye at an angle. And even then, a face shield works better, as it won't fog up on you like goggles do.

I don't use guards. I'm neither arrogant or lazy. Suggesting I am, or others are, without fully understanding the "why" is a more accurate demonstration of arrogance. I use splitters, riving knifes, board buddies, feather boards, etc. Guards can actually create their own hazards. I also make sure my head's in the game before I use power tools. Stop, think, analyze what the task is and how to do it safely - then act.

Safety is not a device. It's a state of mind. Air bags won't help much at a 150mph.