Thread: Unusual jointer alignment issue?

Unusual jointer alignment issue?

I've been using a Grizzly G0856 8" jointer with a helical head for
    a while now. Basically, the machine works well, although I've had some
    difficulty setting the outfeed table height as accurately as I'd like. In short,
    if the outfeed table is at the correct height relative to the cutters at the near
    edge of the table, it will be about 0.005" too low at the back edge 8" inches
    away. This is not a big problem when face jointing wide stock, but it can
    lead to snipe at the tail end of narrow boards being edge jointed for a glue-up.

The usual first suggestion is to check to make sure the infeed and outfeed tables
    are perfectly parallel and apply shims to the ways on the outfeed side if they
    are not. I've very carefully checked this on my machine and find the tables are
    parallel to better than 0.002" across their entire width.

Another possibility is that the rotation axis of the cutter head is not parallel
    to the tables. I've never seen this discussed, no doubt because it is easily fixed
    on a cutterhead with straight knives. When the knives are adjusted to be parallel to
    the outfeed table it doesn't matter if the rotation axis is slightly off.

With a segmented cutterhead like mine, this fix is not available; each
    carbide insert is attached to the cutterhead in a fixed position, there is no wiggle
    room.

I've solved this problem on my machine by inserting 0.005" brass shims under
    one of the two cutterhead bearing blocks (the near side, in my case). This removed
    the misalignment of the rotation axis relative to the tables and allows me to
    set the outfeed table height correctly across its entire width.

Hopefully this will be useful to others owning jointers with segmented heads.

Jim, I’ve seen that situation many times , but have not used a helical jointer. Mfg,s don’t want problems. Most jointers are, or were sold with
    outfeed table a bit low because many like that set -up since it does not make the material “climb” …that is ,remove less wood at the trailing
    end than the front (starting end). Those with less than precise demands are happier with snipe and often just use a longer board …then just
    cut off the snipe. Doesn’t make for good accuracy or thrift …but it’s easy, and cuts down on long telephone calls . Experienced users know
    that just a little wear off full sharp , can make material climb ,and they know how make fairly fast slightly lower outfeed table.

Blog Entries
    Well done on your troubleshooting and fix Jim. Also well explained. Grizzly make so many machines they have to be moving through quality control very quickly.

You get snipe when the cutterhead is too high or the tables aren't coplaner. If your tables are coplaner I'd say the root of your problem is the cutterhead being too high. If your tables are coplaner then it matters not that the end of the outfeed table is lower than the cutterhead as long as it's the same height at the cutterhead. The board is still taking a linear path.

John

Thanks, John. The issue was not at the far end of the outfeed table; it's that it was not possible to have the outfeed table match the cutterhead
    height front to back. The reason turned out to be that the cutterhead axis was not parallel to the tables. Shimming the cutterhead solved the problem.

Jim, based on what you have posted here, I agree with your fix.

To be honest, the first time I read you initial post, I read it as you put the shim under the cutters, not the cutterhead bearing block. When I saw your reply to John's post, I went back and reread your initial post.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eisenstein View Post
    Thanks, John. The issue was not at the far end of the outfeed table; it's that it was not possible to have the outfeed table match the cutterhead
    height front to back. The reason turned out to be that the cutterhead axis was not parallel to the tables. Shimming the cutterhead solved the problem.
    I, too, misread your first post. My apologies. Carry on.

John