Thread: Hinges for thick kitchen cabinet doors

Hinges for thick kitchen cabinet doors

I am re-facing an older "custom" home with lots of plywood face-frame cabinets. I'm making new 1" thick shaker doors with maple frames and MDF panels.

I need a recommendation for a face-frame overlay hinge that supports the 1" thick door:
    - 1 inch max overlay. I can go narrower, but 1" is ideal
    - soft close preferred
    - must support a 1" thick door
    - some of the doors are 38x22 (so relatively heavy)

I researched the Blum hinges pretty thoroughly and found:
    1. I could use the compact "blumotion" hinges, EXCEPT the 110 degree opening doesn't support a door thicker than 3/4", so I'd have to restrict the opening which would limit the cabinets to opening less than 90 degrees - this is a wife deal-breaker and also there are 4 sets of cabinets with pull out drawers inside.
    2. Blum has a 95 degree hinge for larger doors, but it is the euro style "clip top" and would be very awkward to mount on face frames (unless I'm not understanding it)

In any event, I'm not familiar with the cabinet hinge hardware market outside of limited Blum knowledge. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Also - if I'm stupid for going with 1" thick doors, tell me so. I'm using materials I have in abundance, and a carpenter friend showed me some of his work with 1" thick doors and it looks really good.

Thanks,

KC

Blog Entries
    I will look the Bear-Wurth site. There is a lot to look at.

Würth Baer Supply Company | Industrial Woodworking Wholesale Distributor

Blog Entries
    Thick doors are usually inset in my experience.

There are a bunch of options including blum 95 degree thick door hinges that work with 1-1.25" thick doors

Blum Inserta thick door hinge part numbers:
    71T9590B straight
    71T9690B half crank
    71T9790B full crank
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 04-16-2023 at 9:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Thick doors are usually inset in my experience.

There are a bunch of options including blum 95 degree thick door hinges that work with 1-1.25" thick doors

Blum Inserta thick door hinge part numbers:
    71T9590B straight
    71T9690B half crank
    71T9790B full crank
    Thanks for the options. The problem with the Inserta or Clip-top style is that they will stick out in the face frame cabinet carcass, and I don't want to rebuild the carcasses. Also, I think the minimum overlay for these models is 18mm, so short of my 1" overlay target. That might have to be adjusted though.
    Last edited by Kelly Cook; 04-16-2023 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added context

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Cook View Post
    Thanks for the options. The problem with the Inserta or Clip-top style is that they will stick out in the face frame cabinet carcass, and I don't want to rebuild the carcasses. Also, I think the minimum overlay for these models is 18mm, so short of my 1" overlay target. That might have to be adjusted though.
    All of the thick door hinges I'm aware of are the same clip on style regardless of manufacturer. As for the mounting, with the right base plate or blocking you just mount them to the cabinet sides like any euro hinge. If protrusion of the hinge into the cabinet is the issue you would be limited to the compact hinges, and I'm not aware of any made for thick doors.

All Euro style hinges stick out inside the cabinet to some degree, except for surface mounted compact hinges. That's just the way it is. The only way around that would be to scallop out the face frame where the hinges are so you could mount them directly to the cabinet box. That would make it easier to get the overlay you want, too. The hinges are still going to protrude from the surface of the cabinet sides, but likely not beyond the faceframe, depending upon how wide your faceframes are.

John

You've designed a non-standard cabinet and the hinge you need doesn't exist.

If the hinges must be concealed, you can easily use Soss invisible hinges. If they need not be concealed there are many options, such as lift-pin hinges.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Good business for someone to start - custom hinges for over-sized doors. Might be some kind of commercial door hinges out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Good business for someone to start - custom hinges for over-sized doors. Might be some kind of commercial door hinges out there ?
    Blum will design a custom hinge for you......................if your order is large enough.

If you need to ask how large is large, you're not in the ballpark.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I've always used Salice 40mm cup concealed hinges on 1" and thicker doors, and your overlay isn't a problem either
    Give them a call and they'll connect you to the nearest distributor And, BTW, what hinges does your carpenter friend use?

Thanks for the advice (everyone)!
    I’ll check out the Salice option.

My carpenter friend doesn’t build face frames and only does new custom homes. He only uses the Blums.

I can understand that - of course if there was a significant profit margin in it for Blum they would. Very possible a local machine shop could create on a much smaller basis. People who have machine shop abililty/experience could design and fabricate their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    I can understand that - of course if there was a significant profit margin in it for Blum they would. Very possible a local machine shop could create on a much smaller basis. People who have machine shop abililty/experience could design and fabricate their own.

Let me know if you find a local machine shop capable and willing to fabricate a 35mm hinge with soft closing.