Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Mortising Template

I suspect you are paying for a solid template with dust collection built in as opposed to making your own that may have a little flex and is hard to adjust with no dust collection.

The first mortise template I used was a plate with 2 pegs, which works great, until you slip a little and then it doesn't work very well. The second I used was not clear so lining it up to start and stop was quite challenging to my amateur abilities.

One upside/downside is each side is adjusted independently. Nice for that offset mortise that I've never ever done nor seen outside of dominos. On the other hand, centering is a little harder, and for $400 I don't want to fuss with another possible error.

I'll probably get it as I'm a sucker for blowing lots of money on maybe I'll like tools. I should start a web series for "Good tools with little skill".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    I suspect you are paying for a solid template with dust collection built in as opposed to making your own that may have a little flex and is hard to adjust with no dust collection.

The first mortise template I used was a plate with 2 pegs, which works great, until you slip a little and then it doesn't work very well. The second I used was not clear so lining it up to start and stop was quite challenging to my amateur abilities.

One upside/downside is each side is adjusted independently. Nice for that offset mortise that I've never ever done nor seen outside of dominos. On the other hand, centering is a little harder, and for $400 I don't want to fuss with another possible error.

I'll probably get it as I'm a sucker for blowing lots of money on maybe I'll like tools. I should start a web series for "Good tools with little skill".
    I make absolutely zero apologies for any tool I buy and you should do the same. My end results speak for themselves and the people the furniture is for couldn't care less if I used a jig, CNC, power tool, hand tool or anything in between, so I couldn't care less either. Hey if you want to buy a $400 jig, go for it. I wouldn't, but you're not spending my money and I'm not spending yours