Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Delta Drill Press Motor Has Bad Bearings - What to Do?

Get new bearing that are sealed not shielded. They will last longer in a dusty shop. A one or two inch bearing splitter should be as big as needed for most shops. If there is clearance I find a bearing splitter to be easier to use then a puller. For bearings over one inch shaft size or so a puller may be needed.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-13-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not sure why you think freezing the bearing is expensive, stick it in a home freezer for an hour, nothing special required.
    What I saw online was not being performed by a DIY'er. It was done by a specialty repair shop, where they don't use a kitchen appliance, but a device that is expensive, and that is why I think that.

Find another motor man. The last time I had mine put bearings in a motor, by the time I got back to him from going to get the $45 in cash to pay him from the machine, the motor was ready to go with new bearings.

Be aware that motor bearings are often two different sizes. Bigger motors often have the bearing numbers on the data plate. Older motors the bearing numbers may not match current bearing numbering.
    BilL D

I bough my dp used with no motor but it had the motor pulley. I bought a ebay motor and vfd for around $200 delivered. I have not switched belts since.
    BilLD

Outrageous quote. I saw a listing for a new Delta motor for my 17-990X online for around $400. I didn't need it thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    Outrageous quote. I saw a listing for a new Delta motor for my 17-990X online for around $400. I didn't need it thankfully.
    Yeah, I would translate that quote as saying "we're not interested in working on a motor that small". You need to either do it yourself or find a shop that works on small motors, maybe a retired guy working out of his garage part time. The big shops can't cover their overhead on jobs like yours.