Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tools that are junk, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    - 4 in one screwdrivers. Probably 1/2 of use of screwdrivers is prying, wedging, poking, etc., and these fail miserably at this. Add the bits getting stuck and lost- junk. - disagree. I think I have one that is about 8 in one. Very handy to grab when you do not know for sure what shape screw head you need to address. I have others for non-screwdriver tasks like prying.

- Quick grip clamps. Almost every one I have used did not hold, and at best had miserable clamping pressure. A scam. - disagree. For glue-ups, I often use these to get a soft clamp on the parts to hold them in position while I apply a "real clamp". I agree their force is too low for reliable glueups. But they are incredibly handy as an "extra hand". As an illustration I was cutting a few vertical 2x4s about a week ago and wanted to use a speed square to guide my circular saw. It was hard to hold the speed square while manipulating the guard and stupid safety button on the saw. Luckily there were other people handy who held the square but a speed clamp would have been ideal for this.

- Random orbit sanders. Expensive paper that comes off and spins across the room, exposing the even more expensive backing pad to wear and worse grief. - Totally disagree. My big one, a bosch, has a turbo mode that is belt sander fast. It can then be switched to regular random orbit to get the surface ready for finish. Absolutely would not be without it.

- Contour gauge. Nothing to reference it against makes this worthless. No comment

- Electronic stud finder. Maybe newer ones are better, but the older ones were the most un-ergonomic tool ever. Disagree. They certainly are not fool proof but can be helpful.

- Straight cutting aviator snips. No point at all. Disagree. What do you use to cut a straight line?

- Bent claw hammer. Less likely to gouge your face if you're a klutz, that's about it. Disagree. Often easier to use than a straight claw hammer.

- Pocket screws. Not so much junk, as just wrong. An insult to woodworking. Disagree. Not a fine furniture joint, at least where they show, but very useful where you can hide them or for quick and somewhat crude woodworking. I've also seen videos of people discovering then in fine antiques. They been around a long time.

<rant
    Nice way to stir up some responses. I don't really think you believe what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Nice way to stir up some responses. I don't really think you believe what you wrote.
    Based on 46 yrs pro woodworking and construction. I know my ROS experience is in the minority but curious if shared.

Also for your entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Ai find these useless..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I’ve got all kinds of clamps and I’ll give a list of useless ones,l
    Last edited by jack duren; 12-27-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Not a very good clamp..