Thread: Gen Z and job interviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The irony is the people doing the complaining, are ultimately responsible for that which their complaining about.
    This thought has come to me during many different interactions with young people coming into the work force, and haunts me in darker reflective moments in retirement. If we're producing adults poorly prepared or unprepared for the world they are entering, that's not the fault of the students, but of the institutions and people who have brought them to that point - which of course means us oldsters, and perhaps especially, oldsters who had leadership roles in educating and raising the young people.

That said, I think an awful lot of the complaining is rather vapid - yeah, the younger generations are not just like we were, and we may need to change some of our expectations and the ways we do things to fit them fully into their new roles. That's hardly new. Past the surface layers of "they are different," I still encounter highly capable, highly motivated new entrants into the work force.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    This thought has come to me during many different interactions with young people coming into the work force, and haunts me in darker reflective moments in retirement. If we're producing adults poorly prepared or unprepared for the world they are entering, that's not the fault of the students, but of the institutions and people who have brought them to that point - which of course means us oldsters, and perhaps especially, oldsters who had leadership roles in educating and raising the young people.

That said, I think an awful lot of the complaining is rather vapid - yeah, the younger generations are not just like we were, and we may need to change some of our expectations and the ways we do things to fit them fully into their new roles. That's hardly new. Past the surface layers of "they are different," I still encounter highly capable, highly motivated new entrants into the work force.
    I agree. I'm currently mentoring several junior engineers. Both millenials and gen-zers. I'm a gen-xer. Really, I find that they're not so different. They just have a different point of view, largely one that was not their choice anyway. I'll be honest, in many ways we had it easier anyway.

So, from this slacker... The kids, they're alright. It's generally the "adults" that are the problem.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

At age 13, my oldest son made a mistake. Arrested, expelled from middle school, home detention, a year of probation. I introduced him to the owner of a machine shop, where he worked sorting hardware & organizing tool room 3 hours/night 3 nights a week (max allowable, even when not in school)--had to drive him 30 minjtes each way (2 hours total drive for me!!) to drop him off & pick him up. He used his checks to pay off his attorney, probation fees, and fines. He home-schooled until he stopped about grade 11 when he became kind of a semi-pro BMX rider. Went on to work fast food, a check cashing place, retail banking, selling hydraulic parts.

Now...he turned 38 yesterday, is a good husband and great dad of 2 kids. Along the way, did an online BS in technology & business, got his MBA about 8 years ago. Works as a senior project manager for the international division of a major corp--one step from using corporate aircraft to go to his offices in South America. Makes a great living, yet lives a great life.

Something about having to make your own way, being self-responsible and responsible to others...seems to strengthen the soul and build character. Always a bright kid, it was adversity and being force to pay for it that turned the corner in my son's life. Not a path i would encourage for any child (or parent!!), but proof that nose to the grindstone still can reap dividends!!