Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape measure

Tape measure

I have a cheap one and don't like it - any point in buying a more expensive one and if so what kind do you all like?

John

Tape measure's are really a personal choice. I have a 25' Stanley Max that I use around the house and it's good for those projects. For the shop I use a 12' Starret that I treat very kindly. I also spent a fair amount of time checking 12' Starret's against a good rule to find one that read true along it's length (there is variability in all tape measure's). For woodworking projects it's the only tape measure that I use which reduces errors associated with using multiple measurement sources.

Tape measures

I have a 16 foot Stanley Fat Max for the shop. I have a FastCap when I need metric. The Fat Max is the same for the first 6 feet as my 6 foot folding rule which I have had for years.
    Steven made a excellent point that you should remember, tapes are notorious for reading differently along their length and differently between two tapes of the exact same brand and model.
    When I go to a client"s home to measure for built-ins I mark the tape I use with that client's name so I will be sure to use in as I build the project. If I use my folding rule it is less of a problem because that is my favorite measuring tool.

As has been stated the tapes vary from tape to tape, brand to brand.

What ever tape you go with that should be the only tape you use.
    I have a 16 ft. Starrett that I use in the shop and that is the only one I use.

I like Kline. I have had a all metal Kline 12 footer for years and it's the shizz

While it may be cheap (on sale now at 5.99) I got one of those 'flat back' tape measures at rockler. It stays flat on the board and the catch is well secured to the tape. I do check it pretty regularly against my steel rule just in case.

Scott

I have a 16' Starrett and a 25 footer. Use them both depending upon circumstances. Love them both too. I believe that both of them have the digi readout, lest I know the 16' does, and have not used that feature. Somehow I just can't push myself to believe that accuracy. The batteries are probably dead anyways since I've had them both for 10+ years.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

would a folding rule give more accurate measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley Williams View Post
    would a folding rule give more accurate measurements?
    No. Just as there are in inaccuracies in the markings on a tape measure, there can be inaccuracies in the marking on a folding rule just as easily.

If you're looking for accuracy, and not repeatability. I would suggest a Starrett 6' machine rule, or an equivalent. If your work is going to be on a smaller scale, Incra has a fine selection of rules out to 24", as does Starrett. If you need "hyper accuracy", or repeatability, it's going to cost $$$. These types of tools are not cheap.

To keep things in perspective though. Tage Frid used a 6' folding wooden ruler. Good enough for Tage, good enough for me.

John,
    All my shop tapes are Stanleys. I've compared them line for line & they all measure exactly the same, so I'm able to use different ones without any mis-measurements. The problem with this occurs when different brands are used together.
    So far,my projects come out great!
    Measure twice - cut once!!
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I have several - none of them are accurate. I tend to use a 12" LeeValley cabinetmaker's rule. I have a 24" one as well. For longer stuff, I choose one tape measure and stick with it. Every tape measure I have - except one - has the words "NOT RELIABLE" written across them because I have dropped them and the tab got bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Tape measure's are really a personal choice. I have a 25' Stanley Max that I use around the house and it's good for those projects. For the shop I use a 12' Starret that I treat very kindly. I also spent a fair amount of time checking 12' Starret's against a good rule to find one that read true along it's length (there is variability in all tape measure's). For woodworking projects it's the only tape measure that I use which reduces errors associated with using multiple measurement sources.
    Steve, are the Starrett tapes really better? They don't really seem expensive. Are they really by Starrett, or just branded Starrett China stuff?. I'd be happy to spend $30 for an accurate tape...joe

I just have a standard 16' Stanley right now. I do estimates during the day an I love my 25' Kobalt with Stainless Steel Guts , but they changed their designs and the new ones look butt ugly. I also have a 300' Stanley for work, but that maybe overkill in this case.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Steve, are the Starrett tapes really better? They don't really seem expensive. Are they really by Starrett, or just branded Starrett China stuff?. I'd be happy to spend $30 for an accurate tape...joe
    That is a very good question. About a year ago I collected all my tape measures. I had them suckers everywhere: garage, truck, wife's car, basement bulkhead, attic (yea, found one there) junk drawer in kitchen. I gathered them all and put them up to a starrett 3' rule. I only kept 3 and threw the rest out.
    I sure would like a real certified tape measure at any $ price.
    Gary K.

Here's what I want: a nice flat back. Doesn't need to be 25' long. Marked out on one side in tenths, and on the other side in 16ths. Oh, and the surface needs to be writeable, so I can use it like a story stick. Is that really asking too much???

Thanks,

Bill