Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "2007 Let's See Your Shop" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    I'd sure like to hear what programs you all used to draw some of those pics! I only know about the deltatools shop designer online, and it's pretty painful...
    Dave, the two-dimensional ones look to be Microsoft Visio. The three-dimensional ones look to be Google SketchUp. SketchUp has a free version. Grizzly has a shop designer which people seem to like as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    I'd sure like to hear what programs you all used to draw some of those pics! I only know about the deltatools shop designer online, and it's pretty painful...
    SketchUp! for me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since I'm retiring next year (184 days!) and I had been saving for some time I was able to build a shop pretty close to my dream shop which included an office, bath room and darkroom (I'd been a photographer in my previous career and had been for over 40 years). Except for some slight machine placement changes this is what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

By the way, nice Makita posters in your shop!

Blog Entries
    My shop is a disaster right now but here is some pics.

My older son at the scrollsaw.

The best part about computers is that they help make dreams a little more real.

This is a basement shop (17' x 26'). It's almost the size of a generous 2 car garage. The ceiling are only 7' tall though.

-Jeff

Some new storage was just added. It does look like this but now all the junk has found its way back onto it...

Some new cabinets are planned above the radial arm saw...

My shop with my existing 6" jointer...

My shop with how the new Grizzly Planer/Jointer combo would look with it's backside towards you. ...And, I must say, it looks pretty good there!

I don't know how you guys do those illustrations you do, but kudo's for however you do it. It took my wife about a year to teach me how to put batteries in a digital camera and click.. on automatic...

The illustrations just posted by Jeffery were outstanding along with the other whatever you guys call "ems". Not in my life-time probably as I am a hold-out for getting a cell phone which I refuse to do. Put that on my resume! ...

Here's my shop or both of them to be technical. Under the house two car garage with a 1/2 basement. The cutting gets done in the front near the doors where the cyclone is. All tools with the exception of the BS and DP are mobile. The ones kept in the back shop can be rolled to the forward shop in under a minute. The wood rack is back there and sharpening gets done there also with capability to set up several more assembly tables on a large project that spills over.

It's not large... but it's not tiny... it's just "my shop" and as I have done since 1972, I take what I have and make the most of it. It works fine for "me".

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    The best part about computers is that they help make dreams a little more real.
    Jeff,

Those renderings are fantastic! What did you use to generate them?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Jeff,

Those renderings are fantastic! What did you use to generate them?

Greg
    QFT!!! Please enlighten us. That overhead of the DC work is so sweet.

There are great shops - I love to see everyone's creative space management.

CabinetmakerOnline dot com just did a video of me and my shop - if you visit their page, click on video and Hometown Woodworking - Woody, Timber and I will give you the personalized tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke View Post

CabinetmakerOnline dot com just did a video of me and my shop - if you visit their page, click on video and Hometown Woodworking - Woody, Timber and I will give you the personalized tour.

Gail, it is good to see someone else with a small shop and everything on wheels. I would love to have a big shop but just don't have the room.

The one thing that I have noticed that with the shop I have not it stays cleaner and neater then when I was in a over sizes 2 car garage. I just can't leave things out, I don't have the room to do that, so I use it and put it back that way I have the room to do the next thing. So I guess that is one plus for a small shop.

Greg & Mike,
    Plain AutoCAD. An old version too. The new version has a much improved rendering engine but the cost of this software is beyond belief now.
    -Jeff

CabinetmakerOnline dot com just did a video of me and my shop.
    Gail,
    The video is not working properly..at least for me. Does one need to be member? Is anyone else having trouble? I'm using Windows Media Player.
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Greg & Mike,
    Plain AutoCAD. An old version too. The new version has a much improved rendering engine but the cost of this software is beyond belief now.
    -Jeff
    Did you draw all those machines yourself? I always found drawing in 3D in Autocad to be a bit of a chore. But I probably haven't tried in about 10 yrs.

Greg

Great video, Gail! You should have your own TV show. If that segment was a little more polished, it would be better than a lot of programs currently airing. Sponsors would jump at the chance to reach all the women viewers you would attract. (Of course, lots of guys would also watch.)

I hope you don't mind me noticing you apparently attended the Norm Abram School of Pronounciation. I like to hear you say "draw-ahs".