Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel City drill press gloat ... and disappointment

Blog Entries

Steel City drill press gloat ... and disappointment

As the title says, I just got a Steel City drill press.

However, I can't provide any pics of it assembled since apparently my press skipped the quality control area.

As show in the picture, the rear screw hole (1 of 5) that mounts the post to the base was never threaded.

So, I sent an email to Steel City with the picture asking them to fix this problem. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy, is the casting wavy on the inside diameter above the non-threaded hole for a reason? If not, that's a pretty rough casting.

Congrats on gloat, shame about the problem though. Really brings the excitement level way down. When I got my Delta mortiser at the end of last year, it was smashed to bits inside the box. Man was I mad.

It'll be interesting to see what they do to remedy this.

Be well,

Doc

I would almost bet they ask you to tap some threads. Be intersting to see how they handle it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Randy, is the casting wavy on the inside diameter above the non-threaded hole for a reason? If not, that's a pretty rough casting.
    I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. But yes, it is wavy like that all around the perimeter. I'll wager rough casting vs purposely done. But I'm not sure if it would affect anything, since its covered by the column. I wonder if anyone else's SC DP is like that.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    I would almost bet they ask you to tap some threads. Be intersting to see how they handle it.
    I hope you're wrong about that, since I don't have a tap. If they do though, that would be a very poor customer service solution IMO.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I'd get a tap for a few bucks and be done with it in a few minutes, just so I could be using the machine rather than shipping it back. But that's just me.

SC customer service

Randy:

I have 5 large SC tools and I am overall pleased with them. I am less than enthusiastic about their response to emails and telephone calls. One of the reasons I looked at SC was what I heard and read about their good customer service. I have had non returned phone calls to CS and no replies to email. I have had good results some of the time so it may depend on when and who is there at the time. I hope you have good service from them as it will give me more confidence in their CS.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heflin View Post
    I'd get a tap for a few bucks and be done with it in a few minutes, just so I could be using the machine rather than shipping it back. But that's just me.
    I'm with Larry on this one, but I'd be sure to let Steel City know first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I'm with Larry on this one, but I'd be sure to let Steel City know first.
    And they should comp you for your time and expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lentzner View Post
    And they should comp you for your time and expenses.
    Exactly Matt. Nice last name by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heflin View Post
    I'll second that opinion. For a couple of bucks you can have your machine up and running quickly.

You should (could) take this opportunity to buy a limited but high quality tap set. I've got a US and metric set and it has saved me plenty of aggravation. Worn threads? No problemo - just drill and tap to the next size. It took you longer to post this than it would have to tap the hole. Let it go.... get back to work.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    You should (could) take this opportunity to buy a limited but high quality tap set. I've got a US and metric set and it has saved me plenty of aggravation. Worn threads? No problemo - just drill and tap to the next size. It took you longer to post this than it would have to tap the hole. Let it go.... get back to work.
    While I do appreciate the posts telling me how to fix it myself, the problem with that is that I have no idea what to buy or how to use them. And while it would be nice to fix it just like that, I don't really have the money or the time to buy and learn how.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    I would agree that tapping it and be done with it would be the easiest and quickest thing to do but I think it's more important to see what kind of customer service they give. There are plenty of tool manufacturers out there to give business to.

I understand your frustration, I've had this sort of thing happen a few times lately with small items from the BORG. Fortunately for me it was only a $50 light fixture or similar and I could go right back and swap it out. I also understand what others are saying about fixing it yourself, BUT SC needs to know about this! Personally, I wouldn't want to even have to hassle with returning a chunk of iron that big. I would either ask them to immediately ship you a new base, or offer you a refund of some amount to compensate you for your time and frustration. Maybe you could point them to this post and let them know a few thousand of your friends are watching ;-) It'll give them a chance to step up to the plate like the president of Grizzly does quite often.