Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 yr old Delta 8" Jointer, Worth???

30 yr old Delta 8" Jointer, Worth???

There is a local cabinet company selling some equipment near me. One of the items is an old 8" Delta Jointer. The guy said that it is about 30-35 years old (he thinks). He said they bed is around 6' long with metal cabinet base. It was last run around 4-5 years ago and has been in storage for ~1-2 years. Asking price is $700. He said that they priced the equipment by looking online at similiar equipment. I was thinking it was on the high side.

Any opinion on what model this might be and what the price should be?

I currently don't have a jointer and was hoping to get a used 8" to start with. They also had a 8" Oliver for $1000. Didn't ask any questions about it though.

Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin McConnell View Post
    There is a local cabinet company selling some equipment near me. One of the items is an old 8" Delta Jointer. The guy said that it is about 30-35 years old (he thinks). He said they bed is around 6' long with metal cabinet base. It was last run around 4-5 years ago and has been in storage for ~1-2 years. Asking price is $700. He said that they priced the equipment by looking online at similiar equipment. I was thinking it was on the high side.

Any opinion on what model this might be and what the price should be?

I currently don't have a jointer and was hoping to get a used 8" to start with. They also had a 8" Oliver for $1000. Didn't ask any questions about it though.

Thanks for any info!

do you know what model it is? or what the condition is? Also how much was it used? does it have original or replacement parts? Alot depends on how much it is worth, as you may have to put some more into it to get it in tip top shape.

Blog Entries
    The old Deltas were well built. If the castings aren't broken and nothing is missing, it should clean up and run. You might have to replace the bearings and belts. If any parts are broken or missing you will probably not be able to find them, though you could get them made at a price. Check the tables to insure they aren't dished from excessive use. It may also have a three phase motor in it sounless they run it, you might need to plan on a new motor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd buy the oliver assuming they both run and are 220V Single phase (and assuming you can move it into your work space). I'm betting you could get bearings if necessary. Check the tables real close with a long accurate straight edge, if they are dovetail make sure they are parallel also.

Tough to say on the price. If its in good working order its cheaper than your next best option by far for a good 8" jointer.

They are both 220V single phase. I'll have to go look at them and see the condition. The idea of buying a jointer at that price and putting $300-400 into it for bearings and a motor don't thrill me. (Not saying that I'd have to though.)

I had been thinking of going with a Grizzly 8" is they had their summer sale like last year. It would be around $900 depending on the sale and if prices increase.

The Delta is not worth that much IMHO, but the Oliver might bear looking into.

CPeter

>>> I had been thinking of going with a Grizzly 8" is they had their summer sale like last year. It would be around $900 depending on the sale and if prices increase.

Since you mentioned it, I'd go that route. Chances of the old Delta being anywhere as reliable would probably be best had by someone who knows and likes to repair/rehab older machinery. Seems like those folks are far and few between and they are the ones who get the "deals".

My Griz' 8" is about 10 years old now and I am very happy with it. My understanding is that the newer machines are equal or better in quality.

The Oliver possibly.. a Delta that old might be OK.. but that is too much IMO considering you can get a 8" Griz for not much more. The Oliver is a different story unless it is the new (Orient with the Oliver tag).. but still more than I would pay unless it were mint.

Sarge..

They're likely both good machines. Bearing replacement on the delta is relatively easy, and replacements + a belt should set you back less than $50. Some of the machines with the Rockwell "peace sign" logo were substantially lower quality than earlier machines.

The Ollie is a much heavier duty machine and the bearings are probably more expensive double row (but may be ok as is).

As always, condition and completeness determine value. Machines are taken out of service for a reason. In some cases they just need to be taken apart completely and cleaned. In others, there's something seriously broken. Restored, either will be as good or better than a $900 Griz.

Pete

IMHO, the Oliver is three times the machine the Grizzly is and the Delta at least twice as good. It is not rocket science to check for cracked castings, complete fence and guards, run up a motor and listen for bearing noise. I've probably bought, used and sold a dozen similar machines without putting anything beyond belts, switches and a couple of bearings on them.

One other intangible is the woodworkers and gearheads who really know quality machinery will give you extra credit for owning the real deal. Walking through a shop which has all new low-end Asian import machinery somehow doesn't get the same respect.

thnx, jack vines

Have you thought about a Byrd or other helical head? You could get the Grizzly with one off the bat but would have to retrofit the Delta or Oliver.

BTW I have what is probably the same jointer which I was planning on selling for ~$600. 220 1ph, 1 hp, 3 set's of knifes.

jointer.jpg

Recently got a Griz 0609 12", it's ok. Haven't put the Byrd in yet, seems like a pita and the straight knives are still sharp.

-kg

I bought this 50's vintage 8" Delta for $325 about 8 years ago from a machine salvage place in Houston. It could use a repainting, but functionally it is fine.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin McConnell View Post
    I had been thinking of going with a Grizzly 8" is they had their summer sale like last year. It would be around $900 depending on the sale and if prices increase.
    I'd go with the Grizzly unless you're particularly in to old tools. By the time you get it up and running you'll probably have more in it than you would a brand new Griz. Of course, everyone has their opinion and that's just mine. I've been very satisfied with my Grizzly tools and the customer service is unbeatable.

Best of luck with your decision!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I like the parallelagram type of jointer. Got my G0609 a few months ago, put the byrd head on and I really like it. Old Oliver stuff is cool though. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Vines View Post
    One other intangible is the woodworkers and gearheads who really know quality machinery will give you extra credit for owning the real deal. Walking through a shop which has all new low-end Asian import machinery somehow doesn't get the same respect.
    The reference to woodworkers, though, is misguided.