Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder plane help?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Varas View Post
    I apologize for a tag on question but I see that most of you are recommending the LV over the LN. The prices between the 2 are pretty close so I'm guessing most of you feel the LV is the better tool? If so, why do you feel that way?
    I believe the LN is based on the Record 073 shoulder plane. I didn't own the LN but I did own the Record 073. The LV is much better than the Record - just fits my hand better. Also, the 073 was too big. The LV medium is just the right size for the work I do.

I sold the 073.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I apologize for a tag on question but I see that most of you are recommending the LV over the LN. The prices between the 2 are pretty close so I'm guessing most of you feel the LV is the better tool? If so, why do you feel that way?
    I think the LV was designed with not only great ergonomins but also ease of use in mind, setting it up is easy, I have not used a LN shoulder plane, but the LV has adjustment screws to tweak it in almost every feature (mouth opening, blade, etc.).

To answer another question: Do I use it to trim cheeks as well? I prefer a LN rabbet block plane, also a beauty, or my LN 140 (ditto) but only because I have them, you know this slippery slope. I could do fine with just the LN shoulder plane, and if I had to even just chisels, but I'm no chisel ninja yet. I have not cut a dado that wide yet, so I have not used it for dado bottoms yet. In summary, if it is not endgrain I usually go for another tool.

/p

Another vate for the LV Medium. Pretty incredible tool and I have found tons of uses for it. I, like at least one other poster, received mine as an XMAS present.

The LN has a polished brass lever cap, while the LV one is black, but has a swivel knob for easier pushing. The LN blade is A2, the LV blade is A2 or O1 depending on preference. The LV also has four setscrews to set the side-to-side blade alignment, and a hole to stick a finger through for a more secure grip without having to squeeze the plane.

The LN is a more "pretty" tool, the LV has a more utilitarian look.

The LN is 3/4" (0.75") wide, the LV is 0.7" wide so it can fit into slightly narrow grooves/dados.

They feel different in the hand...if you can, try them both.

Shoulder Plane

Another option is a plane from HNT Gordon.
    http://www.hntgordon.com.au/productioncat.htm

He states the purpose as:"Clean up the shoulders of tenons across the grain or a rebate with the grain. Can reverse the blade for use as a scraper on cranky grain." That is a handy feature.

I use one of his shoulder planes frequently. It has a good feel and the iron holds a good edge (Rc-62-64)

Shoulder Plane also can be used to -

Like many of the others I have the LV Medium and value it. I use it to clean out dadoes, rabbets, grooves, you name it. I will admit it is also pretty and that folks have admired it. I intend to buy a large shoulder plane soon. Its kind of funny, the older and more experienced I get, the more I like really good hand tools. Just wait until you use a LV jointer plane for a few hours - it beats weightlifiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Naples View Post
    Another option is a plane from HNT Gordon.
    http://www.hntgordon.com.au/productioncat.htm

He states the purpose as:"Clean up the shoulders of tenons across the grain or a rebate with the grain. Can reverse the blade for use as a scraper on cranky grain." That is a handy feature.

I use one of his shoulder planes frequently. It has a good feel and the iron holds a good edge (Rc-62-64)

Great Plane..
    I have on too. The 3/4" version.
    I also have the LV medium.

I like the HNT Gordon the best. Both give the same performance. and it only takes about 7minutes to learn to set the wedge correctly.

Go for either one.
    Steven Thomas

Thanks for the alternative suggestion! I will take a closer look at the HNT Gordon .

I love my Lee Valley shoulder plane. I used it recently while making the lip on the top of a jewelry box. I hogged off most of the material with a dado blade on my radial arm saw (forgive me, purists), then cleaned them up beautifully with the shoulder plane.