Thread: Resurfacing tool rest edge?

Resurfacing tool rest edge?

Hello folks,

I have not posted in quite some time.

I have a question about tool rest edges. Both of my tool rests have accumulated nicks and burrs on the rest edge that cause my tools to snag and stall when I slide them on the edge during turning.

Is this normal? The rests are English and made by Record Power. Can I file the top edge smooth to get rid of the burrs? What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark Hubbs
    Huntsville, AL
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

My experience is that if you are using the lathe the tool rest will show use also. I like a rolled over edge rather that a sharp angle so I regularly pull my out, take them to the belt sander and touch them up. A file or a sanding block will do the same thing.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

When it happens to me, I take a file and smooth the surface out and put a good coating of paste wax on it for a really smooth finish. I think it is pretty normal for this to happen.

Mark,
    Perfectly normal, happens to everyone. File the edges smooth. I usually make a gentle pass on the fixed belt sander (6x48) to be sure the edge is straight, and then smooth with a fine file or diamond hone. You can round over the bottom edges of your parting tool and skew. You can buy various aftermarket steel toolrests (harder than cast iron), and also at least one with epoxy-bonded hardened steel edge.
    Richard in Wimberley

Yes, it's normal...

Mark,

You can and should file your tool rests so they are smooth again. This is just part of normal maintenance for most lathes -- like waxing your ways to prevent rust.

To prevent this from happening too much in the future, round over the edges of your skews, parting tools and other tools made out of flat metal stock. You don't have to get the edge of your skew to have a smooth radius from one face to the other, just knock the sharp corners off. This will help prevent nicks. Another option is to buy one of the tool rests that have a hardened steel rod on the top of the tool rest. Robust makes one example. Here's a link:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ool_rest?Args=

Mark - with my stock rests I had to resurface the edge every so often because of nicks. Used a flat file and did the best I could to flatten everything and then waxed the rest. I eventually picked up some custom rests (Monster Tools) and they are made out of harder steel (tool steel IIRC) and I haven't had any problems with dents/nicks since.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mark, I got tired of having to smooth the edges of my tool rests. So I bought some 5/16 drill rod from Enco, and used PC7 Epoxy (sort of like JB Weld,when mixed, only harder) to fix the drill rod to the top edge. It has held mine through thick and thin.
    Make sure you get the pre-hardened drill rod, and you'll probably never have to smooth them again.
    I didn't get the pre hardened, and I still have to smooth them out, but not nearly as often as I used to.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Thanks guys,

I will be simple to file and smooth the surface. I'll also put a small radious on the sharp corners of my parting tool. I think that will be a good start. The hardened rod sounds intersting also.

Merry Chirstmas

Mark Hubbs
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

Well, looks like I showed up too late to answer.

Looks like everyone else has you well covered.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mark:
    I did the same as Allen did above. I epoxied drill rod to the top edge of my tool rests. I had my doubts that the epoxy would hold but it has held very well, so far so good.
    All the best.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubbs View Post
    Thanks guys,

I will be simple to file and smooth the surface. I'll also put a small radious on the sharp corners of my parting tool. I think that will be a good start. The hardened rod sounds intersting also.

Merry Chirstmas

Mark Hubbs
    I like the 1/4 in round tool steel rod welded to the top of an L shaped piece. you can get them with a varity of post diameters. They do not file very good, best use abrasives.
    Bob