Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source for Alaskan Yellow Cedar NJ/PA

Blog Entries

Source for Alaskan Yellow Cedar NJ/PA

Morning Gents!

Hoping I can trouble you guys for a line on a yard local to myself that may actually stock AYC. I'm planning a door build sometime next year (after all current builts and probably one more are finished, lol). AYC seems to be held up as a very good soft wood to use for architectural work but also seems to be a rare item at most yards.

Thank you
    Brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wouldn't that be nice. I absolutely love working AYC and love the looks of clear stock. I have a couple small boards that are 10/4 and wish I had more of it. The stuff is very pricey though and just haven't pulled the trigger due to shipping costs. Good luck in your search.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, and I'm unlikely to purchase a quantity that actually makes shipping worthwhile.....another reason to be jealous of the west coast.

I've seen pricing right around $15/bf, I'm actually surprised it's not higher considering how old some of the growth is. I've been considering AYC, POC and some hardwoods. Mostly leaning toward AYC. I understand it to be very stable, which is perfect for this project. I'll paint the outside of the door (sacrilege, but my HOA will require me to) but it will receive direct sunlight all year.

The existing fiberglass POS has survived these conditions...but it's a painful sight for a woodworker.

If you don't mind driving, have you been to Hearne?
    I get most of my wood from Horizon, but I'm not sure they carry this. Ask for Pete.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Prashun, I'll give Pete a call. I checked Hearne's site, no such luck.

Woodfinder.com

I haven't seen any this year at the yards I visit, the last time I bought Ayc was from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana Calif.It was very good mostly clear Vg.One board had close to a hundred lines per inch.Needed a microscope.Good luck.

Try M. L. Condon Lumber in White Plains, NY sorry I don't have the number handy. I think they carry it. How much do you need? A friend of mine did a whole house with it and he might have some around the shop.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim,

The door will have a window, so it's not a huge amount. I figure 10/4 x 8" x 7' (2) and 10/4 x 8" x 3' (3) would probably do it. I need to make a simple kumiko lattice work as well, so some 4/4 stock but not sure yet how much..

Oh yeah and did you try wood boards n beams in towaco?

Blog Entries
    Havent tried them yet, they dont show it on their website. I'll give them a call as well and see if they have it.

ML Condon shows it on their site, no pricing, but they mention it's true old growth.

How about spanish cedar? It is also supposed to be weather resistant and it smells nice.

Blog Entries
    This is my ideal because it's a very hard cedar, the hardest in fact. This door is going to be put in absolutely terrible circumstance of 1/2 day direct sunlight and all forms of weather all while being heated/cooled on the inside of the house.

I know I'm a glutton for punishment even considering a wooden door for these circumstances, so I want to make sure I'm picking a super stable lumber.

POC and AYC are both called cedar but are actually in the Cypress family. My understanding is that old growth cypress is normally around 25 rings per inch, where AYC is going to be somewhere around 60 rings per inch.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-02-2015 at 5:33 PM.

Check your PM...

Blog Entries
    Thank you!