Thread: Adjustable Clamp/Jorgensen Made in USA or China?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

I guess I just don't get it, if it's well made and does the job, where it's made is mostly irrelevant to me

JeffD
    I agree. This thread was started for those who might think country of origin has something to do with quality. What if we test and compare the new Chinese clamps to the old USA clamps,and report it here. This thread might be valuable for that.
    Interesting that the new made in China Jorgensen/Adjustable clamps are close to the same price as the old made in USA clamps.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I agree. This thread was started for those who might think country of origin has something to do with quality. What if we test and compare the new Chinese clamps to the old USA clamps,and report it here. This thread might be valuable for that.
    Interesting that the new made in China Jorgensen/Adjustable clamps are close to the same price as the old made in USA clamps.
    I ordered several clamps from Lee Valley in different sizes when they were still carrying Jorgensen. The order arrived as a mix of US made and Chinese made clamps. The fit and finish and even the gripping power of the jaws (they slipped badly when not parallel) was night and day poorer on the Chinese clamps. I called Lee Valley CS and they were unaware of the change in manufacture. Checking stock, while I was on hold, they found they had a mix of US and Chinese clamps and had not been informed of the change by their supplier. They graciously offered to refund my money for all the clamps. I half took them up on their offer and returned all the Chinese clamps while keeping the US ones. I then bought the missing sizes at a local lumber yard that carried a different, but still quality made in US, brand.

Only 1 data point I know, but I felt there was a significant quality change for no reduction in price.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I then bought the missing sizes at a local lumber yard that carried a different, but still quality made in US, brand.

Only 1 data point I know, but I felt there was a significant quality change for no reduction in price.
    Thanks for the report James. What USA brand did the lumber yard carry?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Thanks for the report James. What USA brand did the lumber yard carry?
    Unfortunately they are buried out in my shop in the middle of a remodel. I am still too close to hernia surgery to have doctor permission to lift over 10 pounds so I cannot dig them out. Memory wanted to say Iowa clamp or something midwestern like that, but it doesn't feel right. Lee Valley now carries Dubuque clamps and I am 99% sure that is what they were, but only looking would get me to 100%. Frustrating to want to work in the shop to get new toys running, but doctor says wait till May. :-(

I purchased my Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamps about 5 years ago. Have had way too many failures with them and quit purchasing them. Have had the metal inside just emit a loud cracking noise and the inside metal pieces fall out or shoot across the room. Terrible product. Using the Besseys mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    I purchased my Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamps about 5 years ago. Have had way too many failures with them and quit purchasing them. Have had the metal inside just emit a loud cracking noise and the inside metal pieces fall out or shoot across the room. Terrible product. Using the Besseys mostly.
    I assume the Jorgensen are stamped USA made?

I assume the Jorgensen are stamped USA made?
    Yes the "F" style bar clamps are stamped on the bar "Made in the USA". I bought the last from the home depot by me and which I would have gotten more sooner.

The chinese irwins cost more than the Made in the USA jorgensen .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    I've had similar problems. Adjustable Clamp does stand behind them and has always sent me replacement parts for free. They told me they redesigned the part that always breaks a few years ago. It became black instead of silver. I haven't had a black one fail ... yet anyway.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb James View Post
    There was a recent thread on a competing forum discussing this very thing. HERE. "Clampman" is a representative for the company and tries to explain (patiently, I might add) their current manufacturing model.
    Thanks Caleb. The reason this thread was started was to track what clamps are still made in USA.
    Interesting "Clampman" says:
    ----------------------
    1. We still manufacture clamps here in the U.S.A. right here in Chicago, IL
    2. The reasons stated here for Lee Valley Tool and some of the Home Depot stores not selling our products anymore is NOT accurate.
    3. Do we import SOME product? Yes, we have to, to be able to survive in todays competitive market. Some buyers especially in "big box" stores could care less about made in U.S.A.
    4. We still build Jorgensen Bar Clamps, Pony Spring Clamps, Jorgensen Handscrews right here in the U.S.A.
    5. We do import a handscrew clamp for Home Depot, at Home Depot's request.
    -------------------
    I wonder why the large C- clamps, bar clamps and Pony pipe clamps I saw at Ace hardware have no country of origin marked on them or the packaging? I couldn't see the back side of the pipe clamps with out opening the packages so they may be stamped USA on the back side.
    The Grizzly catalog last year had made in USA labels next to all the classic Jorgensen/adjustable clamps. The current catalog still has the clamps but no
    made in USA labels.

Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-28-2013 at 1:06 AM.

I wonder why the large C- clamps, bar clamps and Pony pipe clamps I saw at Ace hardware have no country of origin marked on them or the packaging? I couldn't see the back side of the pipe clamps with out opening the packages so they may be stamped USA on the back side.
    The Grizzly catalog last year had made in USA labels next to all the classic Jorgensen/adjustable clamps. The current catalog still has the clamps but no
    made in USA labels.
    I went back to double check Ace stock. I was wrong before the#3700 light duty bar clamps ARE stamped USA.
    The #2600 light C- clamps have China on the package. The #1400 heavy C- clamps have no country of origin marks. The new #50 pipe clamp has no country of origin marks and no USA cast in like my old#50 clamps have.

At Menards all the F's and parallels and the Cabinet Claw said made in the USA. Nothing written on the pipe clamp heads.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I went back to double check Ace stock. I was wrong before the#3700 light duty bar clamps ARE stamped USA.
    The #2600 light C- clamps have China on the package. The #1400 heavy C- clamps have no country of origin marks. The new #50 pipe clamp has no country of origin marks and no USA cast in like my old#50 clamps have.
    I could be mistaken but I thought the "country of origin" was only required if not made in the U.S.