Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thinking of upgrading to SawStop

Mike, I'm not sure the point but since i'm the 3" guy- and I say that sadly- I'll again state that I think both types of saws have their benefits. A slider is better at some applications but not all. If a slider meets your specific needs better there are ways to minimize the danger. Not as neat as the SS but still helpful. And yes, my pneumatic clamps are always on the saw. One lever operates both and I haven't put my finger near the blades in years. I still won't give up the traditional saw for certain things, small rips particularly. I like the SS technology but don't think it trumps every other reason to own a different saw. I tend to be pretty hard core about safety, my own and others. I think safety technology does trump a lot of reasons for owning specific machines. My cars are chosen for stopping distance, brake size, sophisticated suspension systems, traction and stability control, blind spot detection etc. I modify the Suburban to duplicate my Euro cars and it isn't cheap. I'm concerned enough to spend $$ to protect both myself and others. However, I don't think everyone else should do as I choose and I don't consider them to be wrong, just of a different opinion. Dave

I agree Dave for sure. Eventually I may own a slider saw as a second saw in a second larger shop. For now I am looking for advise to improve my slider shaper. As many pointed out - The SS is only one of many many tools in the shop. I appreciate you guys using these and allowing us to learn from you guys.

Now get out there and parallel rip some 3.25" wood
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I agree Dave for sure. Eventually I may own a slider saw as a second saw in a second larger shop. For now I am looking for advise to improve my slider shaper. As many pointed out - The SS is only one of many many tools in the shop. I appreciate you guys using these and allowing us to learn from you guys.

Now get out there and parallel rip some 3.25" wood
    I'll use the bandsaw. The sliding shaper is another great topic. I REALLY try to keep away from those cutters!
    I use a different type of clamp set up for that as well as a big feeder. Start a post, that will be informative. 3" Dave

I have a sawstop 3hp industrial and I would recommend it without hesitation, it is very well made.

Very little about it bothers me, but I'll mention the minor areas here just so you know about them, since they are the only things you won't read in a magazine or hear from a dealer. My model was purchased in 2007.

My fence does have a very slight inward bow to it after 5 years of heavy use. I have never had this affect my work but you can see it if you put a straightedge on it.

When lowering the blade it makes a god-awful creaking noise. I believe I read elsewhere that this happened often with my era of saw, is not evidence of a function problem, and has been corrected in later models.

A couple times a year, enough sawdust builds up on a hard-to-access part of the internal mechanism to prevent the blade from being lowered all the way below the table (i use a quality dust collector). You can blow it out with compressed air but you have to get creative to get at the right spot.

As you can see by the minor level of importance to my complaints, the saw has no major issues and has performed admirably. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Denny,
    I've had a SS ICS for 2 years. I really like it. Recently I helped a friend with a project at his shop. He has nice table saw but it isn't a SS. I found myself a little squeamish about using his saw. I had the feeling one gets when you realize you haven't fastened your seatbelt and have driven for a bit. It also reminded me that the safety procedures we're supposed to practice when using a saw are there for a reason and are not to be toyed with. They are all that stands between you and a spinning piece of steel. While I certainly appreciate the brake on my SS, what really is nice is the riving knife. It probably prevents more accidents than the brake on a daily basis.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pratt View Post
    A couple times a year, enough sawdust builds up on a hard-to-access part of the internal mechanism to prevent the blade from being lowered all the way below the table (i use a quality dust collector). You can blow it out with compressed air but you have to get creative to get at the right spot.
    I had this problem with my SawStop. I upgraded my dust collector (more volume) and haven't had the problem since (yet). But I'm not a heavy user - just hobby use.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Have you ever contacted SawStop about the fence issue? I seem to hear this a lot from SawStop owners...just wondering what they say about the fence. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Have you ever contacted SawStop about the fence issue? I seem to hear this a lot from SawStop owners...just wondering what they say about the fence. Thanks
    I haven't actually. If their PR and CS departments are worth $.02, they are reading the forums regularly. The chipboard fence face must only cost them a few bucks in their production process... for a few more bucks, I'm sure they could come up with something better. It's strange that they haven't.

My 2 cents on the SS. I traded up to the professional from a Delta contractors saw with a Unifence. Love it. It's a solid machine. But I do admit that I miss my Unifence a little. This thread has been a learning experience. I didn't even know there was politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Ok, so you got a sawstop, and you will now not cut your fingers off with your tablesaw. What about your bandsaw, circular saw, jointer, chisels, or kitchen knives? Does the sawstop then actually make it more likely that you will cut yourself badly because those other tools combined get used more than a tablesaw?
    Good questions. There are no saw stop equivalents for most other major tools but that doesn't mean we should then forgo safety features that are available now or wait until safety features are available on every machine before we even start to benefit from them. simple.

I guess the complacency thing was never an issue with me because I'm not less safe with a saw stop. My sawstop was intended to avoid catastrophic accidents, it was NOT intended to allow me to woodwork less carefully. I am just as cautious and aware as I was before but I get an extra measure of safety JUST IN CASE. win win.
    Last edited by Craig Behnke; 02-07-2013 at 2:17 PM.

Yeah Craig, I'm with you. Just because I have a sawstop, doesn't mean I am reckless with my saw. It would still cost me some money and time - if I had a 'brake' incident. I also have guys working for me using the saw, and I feel better about their safety.

I think the argument that a Sawstop can/will make you less cautious is crazy. I don't own an SS but hope to, but no matter how many hotdogs are saved and testimonials out there, I will still never trust technology to save my digits. I can't imagine anyone would be less cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Moore View Post
    My 2 cents on the SS. I traded up to the professional from a Delta contractors saw with a Unifence. Love it. It's a solid machine. But I do admit that I miss my Unifence a little. This thread has been a learning experience. I didn't even know there was politics.
    Me neither! LOL